Mama Diaries

Friday, March 26, 2010

Bon Appetit

Passover is tomorrow (or at least our Seder dinner is) and it is my job to make the dessert. Let me begin by first informing you, that I am not Jewish. My husband, my children, and my in-laws are. So, it probably is not a really good idea to ask someone like me to do anything for this feast. Nevertheless, I attempted to make a nice recipe for Almond-Macaroon torte with chocolate frosting and orange compote (sounds good doesn't it?).

I'm afraid my rendition of it didn't look anything like the picture. I knew when the batter was poured that something was terribly wrong. But since I couldn't add flour or baking soda, I didn't know what the heck to do with it. So I put it in the oven. A torte is supposed to have a cake-like consistancy. When I pulled my "torte" out, it was flat like a cracker and hard as a rock.

"Oh well," I thought. "On to the frosting." I didn't have much luck on that part either. My frosting ended up like a brown play-do concoction. I couldn't even spread it with a knife. So I plastered it in place with my hands.

I stood back to look at my masterpiece. I cut off a few uneven parts and covered it with saran wrap. "Done!" I said. It looked okay, but I figured it was going to taste aweful.

So my husband came home from work and my kids came home from school and started munching on the pieces I had cut off. "Mmm. That's good!" they said.

You have got to be kidding!

No comments:

Post a Comment