Mama Diaries

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Gem Hunters

My kids have recently become interested in rocks and gems. My six-year-old son received a comprehensive rock guide book for Christmas, which he has read from cover to cover. He is becoming quite the expert in rocks.

Today my kids went outside to dig up some rocks. They were on a mission to find valuable gems. I'm not so sure there are any valuable gems to be found in the clay of Cincinnati, but they thought they'd give it a try.

A half hour later, my son came running into the house, very excited.

"Mom, I found some pyrite!" (Fools gold for anyone who isn't familiar with pyrite.)

"Hmmm," I said. "I don't think pyrite is found in these parts. Let me take a look."

My little guy handed over a huge chunk of rock. It was a muddy mess.

"Dude, this is shale, and it's covered with mud."

"Is it valuable?"

"No."

"Is it rare?"

"No."

"Then I'll go out and try to find a diamond."

Two hours later, he still had not found a diamond, but he did find a piece of granite. He was quite pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment