Mama Diaries

Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Worst Thing for Christmas

Santa left a defective present under the tree last night.  It was one of those cute little pop-up tents with an attachable tunnel.  Santa usually assembles all presents that are left under the tree.  He neglected to assemble this thing.  It was still in the box.  I think it was an omen of what was to come.

"Mommy, can you put my tent together?" my son asked.

"Sure."  I had just woken up, so my brain was a little foggy.  I pulled it out of the box and read the directions.  It seemed easy enough.  Just unfold and insert poles through the loops.  That's what I did.  Except, one set of poles was a little too long.  As I attempted to jam the pole into the holding loop, the loop ripped. Then the fabric on top of the tent began to fray.

Argh! 

"Mommy, you broke my toy from Santa!"

"It wasn't made very well," I said in self-defense.

"That's the worst thing that could ever happen on Christmas - a kid can't play with a toy from Santa!"  He was near tears.

"Look.  I know you're really disappointed.  First thing Monday morning, I'll contact the elf shop and see what we can do about it."

"But that's in the North Pole."

"Mommy has connections."

He looked at me kind of funny.

"Don't worry.  I'll take care of it," I assured him. "Now go play with your other toys."

What can I say? I guess even the elves aren't making quality products these days. 

Merry Christmas everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment