Mama Diaries

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Dumpster Diet

Sometimes I don't have time to cook.  (Maybe if I didn't write or blog, it would be a different story.) On those days, I cheat.  I pull out some kind of frozen food and heat it up.  Today, I pulled out a mini pot roast.  It was a boil-in-the-bag variety.  (Yeah, I know - kind of weird, but it works when I'm in a pinch.)

I plopped those things into a pot of boiling water and continued writing.  My daughter came along and peeked in the pot.  "Mom!" she said.  "You're boiling plastic bags!"

"Yep.  Only the best at this restaurant!" I replied.

She made a face.  "I'm sick of this dumpster diet of yours."

"Dumpster diet?  What do you mean?  This is good food!"

"Mom, I can crawl into a dumpster and find this stuff."

"Oh good," I said.  "Then you can go crawl into a dumpster to get your dinner, and I won't even have to boil water!"
         

27 comments:

  1. LOL! I cheat at times too when time is short. Love the term dumpster diet though. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha well those dumpster divers do eat better than a lot of people I hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. Then maybe I won't have to cook again. Ever!

      Delete
  3. Hehe! My extent of cooking skills lies in frozen pizza, so she should be happy with the plastic bag meal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so much enjoyed reading this, cheered me alot.

    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great comeback! I don't think most dumpsters serve pot roast, especially not in my country. All the best with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're hilarious! Your house must be full of laughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. *LOL* That actually sounds good. I did a turkey in a bag last year and it really yummy. Very moist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roast turned out really well. I was surprised.

      Delete
  8. Dumpster diet? Are your two kids training to be stand-up comics? They did eat the pot roast, didn't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone in my family is funny. Must be genetic. And yes, they did eat the roast!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Yeah. I'm looking forward to getting my little halo at the end of this! ;)

      Delete
  10. Oh, dear. That child must not realize that some people actually go dumpster diving and they don't come up with a nice clean pot roast in a bag.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll take her on a field trip to a dumpster and she can go diving to experience firsthand what it's really like. :)

      Delete
  11. Where did she come up with the term 'dumpster diet'?:)) I eat soup from a carton and chicken fillet in boxes. I'd be happy to try your warm pot roast in a bag. :) Now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dumpster diet? I wonder where she got that idea from? It's quite funny though... *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was laughing so hard when she pulled that line out of her hat. Unbelievable!

      Delete
  13. Hah! That's telling her! It's so hard to have any patience for cooking, so she should appreciate that you're not having her dumpster-dive for real...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've made boil bag meals for my guys at times. Sometimes I just tell them it is a fend for yourself meal. Then I don't have to cook at all. : )

    ReplyDelete