It didn't start off well this morning. I was rudely awakened at 6:30 AM by the screeching of the fire alarm. I bolted out of bed and immediately sought the source of this problem.
My kids ran out of their rooms, covering their ears. "Mom, what's going on?" they shouted.
"Don't know, but I'll figure it out!"
I didn't smell anything weird. I didn't see anything weird. It was puzzling.
After about two minutes, the ear piercing noise stopped. I looked at those stupid alarms on the ceiling and secretly said a few bad words to them (don't tell my kids!).
Aggravated, I went down into the basement to see if anything odd was going on down there. That's when I noticed the sump pump battery. The "fill water" light was on. Fine. I grabbed the distilled water and battery pump filler thing and took care of that little problem. I think something weird was going on with the battery, because the skin on my face and hands burned so bad from just being around it! ( I later called my husband - who's in Atlanta of course - and told him about it. He said the battery was probably giving off harmful hydrogen compounds which burned my skin and caused the alarms to go off. Great.)
Next problem: "Mama, I want French Toast for breakfast," my son said.
Okay. What could be hazardous about making French Toast? I turned the stove on to heat the pan. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that the darn thing didn't ignite (it's gas). About 20 seconds later, I noticed a horrible smell. I secretly muttered a few more bad words, turned the stove off, and turned the oven fans on, hoping to clear the air. I also went to the sliding back door and opened that. As I closed the screen door, I smashed my index and middle fingers into it. Pain!!!!! My fingers immediately swelled up.
So now here I am with smashed fingers, burnt skin, and a practically busted eardrum. I'd say that's a bad day!