Mama Diaries

Monday, June 24, 2013

Skywire to the Moon

Did any of you see that guy walk across the Grand Canyon on a type rope yesterday?  It was shown on the Discovery Channel.  The kids wanted to see it in lieu of movie night, so we parked ourselves in front of the television and watched the spectacle.

The man was on the wire for over twenty minutes without a tether or safety net - 1400 feet above the canyon floor! Completely insane! I was pretty nervous for him when he had to stop and kneel a few times because the wire was starting to bounce too much.  But somehow he did it.  He now has the distinction of being the first person to walk across the Grand Canyon on a two inch rope. 

Now my son has some big ideas.

"Mama, do you want to know what I'm going to do when I grow up?" he asked.

I looked at the kid.  "I certainly hope it's not walk across the canyon on a type rope!"

"No, Mama.  It's even better."

I gave him my squinty eye look.  "What do you have in mind, Bubba?"

"I'm going to walk on a type rope all the way to the moon!"

Uh, right.  Good luck with that, kid!


38 comments:

  1. I watched that. I was on pins and needles the entire time. To the moon, huh, you'd better keep an eye on him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!!

    Oh my. I'd watch that--tightrope walking to the moon. See, this is exactly why I don't let my 6 yr old watch TV. Next think I know he'd be stretching a rope between couches. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite frankly, I'm surprised Bubba hasn't stretched a rope across the furniture and tried walking on it!

      Delete
  3. Goodness that would have made me very nervous to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart was only throat most of his walk. I hope, especially for your sake, that walking the rope to the moon won't be possible anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bubba certainly knows how to make his Mama imagine him doing very scary stuff! I can't imagine doing anything like that.Yikes, super scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he definitely knows how to add gray hairs to my head! ;)

      Delete
  6. I admire your son. He dreams big!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not know about that little trick--OMG! I'm not sure I could have watched. Bubba is braver than I am. LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or some people are just plain crazy! I hope Bubba's not one of them!

      Delete
  8. Bubba is always going to aim high (-:

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw that on out news bulletin earlier today, My, he's got some nerve, Your Bubba must have been impressed.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know about that. I wonder if it was the Frenchman who walked between the Twin Towers years ago. If it is, I saw a great documentary about him. I have no idea what it was called. Maybe Man On A Wire.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looked at an article online. It wasn't the Frenchman. I'll see if I can find the title of the documentary. I think you'd like it. Can't remember if it has anything inappropriate for children.

      Delete
    2. Found it. "Man On Wire" -- won the Academy Award for Best Documentary a few years ago. I really enjoyed it.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the info on "Man on Wire." Maybe we'll check it out. I still think anyone who does a stunt like that is nuts!

      Delete
  11. That would sure break records, tell him to be sure and bring lots of water

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually, what with the space station, you can now run a tightrope to there and proceed onwards to the moon. Ignore me!

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gary! Just what we need - more ideas for my daredevil boy!

      Delete
  13. Haha, he'll be floating. He would need to attach himself to the rope.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Someone walked across the Grand Canyon on a tight rope?! Whoa. The mere thought of that makes me nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nik Wallenda has been walking tightropes since he was two and comes from a family of acrobats. Balance is everything!!
    I admire your son's ambition but he'd better start small - and low;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. hope the moon will be there still.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. i hear a new book for you sherry :)

    ReplyDelete