Mama Diaries

Monday, September 16, 2013

Coke Overload

I took my kids to the World of Coke Museum in downtown Atlanta.  The best part of the whole thing was the area where you could sample Coke products from around the world.  Sixty-one flavors!  My kids grabbed cups and started sampling.

My son tried one from Italy and wrinkled his nose.  "Ewww!  It tastes like licorice!"

"Really?" I asked.  I had to try it.  And yes, it tasted like licorice.  Terrible!

My daughter tried one from Africa. "Mom, this is weird!"

We hopped over to the Asian samples.  My son nearly spit his out.  "They call this Coke?"

Latin America was the next stop.  Those were tolerable, but not quite what we're used to. 

Finally, we arrive at the North American varieties.  And do you know what they did?  They mixed them.  Coke with root beer.  Ginger ale with Mountain Dew.

I looked at them and shook my head.  "You're going to be sick after drinking all of that!"

My son grinned. "But this is real Coke!  We have to wash out all those other flavors."

Of course.

After he finished his final drink, Bubba let out a giant belch.  I'd say he had a definite Coke overload!    

  

32 comments:

  1. I wonder what Coke tastes like in USA.... but I do prefer Pepsi :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really sweet. I'm not a fan of Pepsi or Coke. :)

      Delete
  2. Apparently, it's never been green -- a rumor I believed once upon a time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that it tastes different around the world. Bet ours is the sweetest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the ones in Latin America were the sweetest.

      Delete
  4. Lol! Ours is the best!

    I saw your photos on FB and your visit looked great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. Glad you got to see the pictures on FB!

      Delete
  5. American Coke is the best.
    My wife mixes all the flavors...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I had never heard of mixing flavors until my kids did it.

      Delete
  6. Isn't a mix of coke and other pop called 'swamp water'? Or is that a bygone term? When our kids were little, that's what they called it. Popular at parties for kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't drink pop at all now, but at one time I did. I was an uncola person (yeah, I know, one of those). Forgot to add that.

      Delete
    2. Swamp water is a great term for that! I'm not a pop drinker, either. Too sweet!

      Delete
  7. I've read many times that Coke used to have cocaine in it. Then I read that it wasn't true. Was that bit of information addressed?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it wasn't addressed. But I really do wonder if cocaine was at one time part of the secret ingredients that they refuse to share!

      Delete
    2. Dr. X did some work in Atlanta for the Coke company at one time. Their executives swore that the secret recipe for Coke was kept in a vault.

      Delete
  8. Belching is a sure sign of great Coke. Down here, the big deal is Mexican Coke because it is made with pure cane sugar instead of the corn syrup stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought Coke tasted the same around the world. This is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. Many of the samples, though were of Coke products (like Ginger ale or root beer). So it wasn't just Coke per se.

      Delete
  10. Wow, Coke tastes different in other countries? I never knew that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does. But, there were also a lot of Coke products that you don't find here in the States. It was interesting to sample them.

      Delete
  11. I never knew Coke tasted different around the world....verrry interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry for the delay but have been in bed.

    What a wonderful place to visit for the kids......and you?

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I saw it. I'm not a huge Coke fan, but it was interesting to sample the flavors and see the memorabilia.

      Delete
  13. I also thought Coke tasted the same all over the world. Sounds like an interesting place to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Years ago I visited the World of Coca-Cola in Las Vegas and wrote an opinion piece on it--it's an interesting place, I still remember the ginger tasting stuff from India. But I very seldom (like maybe once a year) drink soft drinks since I have to endure having type 1 diabetes

    ReplyDelete