Mama Diaries

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Mama Marinade

I pulled a pork loin out of the refrigerator and slopped a mixture of mustard, apple cider vinegar, and basil on it.  Then I tossed it in the oven.  "I have to go to work," I announced.  "Can you pull this thing out of the oven when it's ready?"

"Sure," my husband said.

I left.  A few hours later, when I came back, I asked my husband how the pork was. 

"It was good, but it took a lot longer to cook than you said."

"Oh.  That doesn't surprise me," I replied.  "It was a little bit frozen when I put it in the oven."

"What? You marinated a frozen loin?"

"Partially frozen,"  I corrected.

"Woman, that's like frosting a frozen cake."

"So?  You can frost a frozen cake. Just like you can marinate a partially frozen loin.  Just deal with it!"

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I don't work in a fancy restaurant! 

   

32 comments:

  1. When you don't have time, you don't have time!
    I bet frosting a frozen cake is much easier than one not frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I agree with Alex—and I always partially freeze my cakes before icing them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. His response " "It was good..." is all I would have to hear.
    I do the majority of the cooking, and very seldom do I get "It was good".from my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! My kids are the same way - unless I make pizza or burgers.

      Delete
  4. fuss fuss whine whine
    He should be glad you put dinner in the oven.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should have had frosted frozen cake for dessert (-:

    ReplyDelete
  6. We must cut corners sometimes. If it's edible at the end, it's alright.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Right. Doesn't matter how it gets there, or how long it takes!

      Delete
  8. Very funny and the bottom line is that " It was good!" That's the most important thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good when I get a positive remark on the slop I serve!

      Delete
  9. Hahaha sounds like something I'd do too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just don't have time to let things thaw out completely!

      Delete
  10. LOL, he's not the one who has to prepare and cook the thing, so he has no right to think this technique is crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! sounds like a conversation I would have!~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a conversation a lot of women would have with their significant other!

      Delete
  12. There have been plenty of times I've started a roast or loin when it is partially froze. Just give it an extra hour or so and talk about moist! My guys always seem to be happy with the end result.

    ReplyDelete