Mama Diaries

Monday, April 7, 2014

Fiesta Funnies and Guest Blog Post

Before I share the story, I'd like to let you all know that I'm a guest over at the epublishing blog, talking about why it's important to read to kids.  Please stop by and visit!  (I was told that there's a contest going on this month, too, where the guest author that gets the most shares will win a free animated version of their book, so if you wouldn't mind sharing the article when you get over there, I'd appreciate it!)

Now here's the story.  My daughter came home from school the other day, and I swear, it was just like she had drank a two-liter bottle of giggle juice.  She could not stop laughing.  Everything I said, she thought was the funniest thing in the world.

"Girl," I said. "I might be funny, but I know I'm not that funny!"

She laughed so hard, tears were coming out of her eyes.

I gave her the Mom squinty-eye look.  "What happened in school today?"

"We had a fiesta."

"A fiesta?" I asked.  I knew some light was about to be shed on this situation. "Tell me about your fiesta."

"There was lots of food.  Waffles with whipped cream.  Waffles with chocolate sauce.  Candy.  Doughnuts.  And some nachos with salsa."

I nodded.  The picture was becoming clearer.  "And how much of this fiesta food did you have?"

"Um....."  I could tell she was deliberating on how much to reveal.  "Three waffles, one doughnut, and a couple of pieces of candy."

I raised my eyebrows, to which she had another giggle fit. "But Mom, I was hungry!"

  

40 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I was trying to figure out if it was all the sugar, or if she was over-tired.

      Delete
  2. My friend's dog Vlad gets to go to the library and lay there while the kids read. Its so great. They read out loud to him. I hope our libraries stay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Libraries are great places to take kids.

      Delete
  3. *facepalm* I've got one like that, but he just starts bouncing off walls, literally when he gets even half that much sugar in his system.

    Sugar is the best drug on the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why was she giggly about it? Did they put giggle powder in it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it was a special brand of fiesta sugar. ;0)

      Delete
  5. I've read that it isn't the sugar that gets kids hyped, but the activity/celebration that comes with the excess of sugar. How will we test the hypothesis, moms? Should we leave a big bag of candy in our darlings' time-out corners?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the girl was overtired. Sugar + fun + overtired = huge amounts of giggles.

      Delete
  6. Nothing like a little sugar to get kids revved up (-:

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's a kid to do if they're hungry and doughnuts and candy are available?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. It's not like any healthy food choices were offered!

      Delete
  8. You can't tell me that sugar doesn't alter behavior. My dad was a social worker and waged this battle for years in the 80s and beyond. So many kids with "behavior problems" actually just had sugar problems. When he could get a parent to accept this idea and alter the kids' diet... they were always shocked by the difference it made. I think people are a bit more aware of what sugar does now.... well, some people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of the dyes in these products also contributes to crazy behavior!

      Delete
  9. I checked out your guest post and agree completely.

    Oh man I can always tell when my kids have gorged on sugar. I just hold on and wait for the crash lol.

    Brandon Ax: Writer's Storm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they crash, they're usually out for hours! Thanks for stopping by my guest post!

      Delete
  10. Oh funny, how long did the sugar high last? And I thought schools were all crazy strict about healthy foods these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently not this school! I sent her to bed. She slept three hours. She obviously needed it after all that sugar!

      Delete
  11. On, no. What happened when she came off the sugar high?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, the sugar buzz...and yet, girls don't even need sugar buzzes to get them giggling non-stop sometimes. At least mine never did.

    MJ, A to Z Challenge Co-Host
    Writing Tips
    Effectively Human
    Lots of Crochet Stitches


    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, gosh, all that sugar would've given me a headache. At least she just had the giggles, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha wow, that is enough sugar to keep her hyper all night long

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately she crashed not long after her giggle fit.

      Delete
  15. Just saw your guest post and couldn't agree more with it. I shared it on Twitter - good luck with the contest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. awwww to be sugar happy--i love it!

    ReplyDelete