Mama Diaries

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Quiet

Life with kids is not quiet!  There's constant chatter.  Noisy toys.  And lots of commotion.  I like quiet.  It's the only way I can hear the voices in my head to write my stories!  So I can never understand why my kids insist on having music playing, or the TV on when they're doing their homework.

"No TV!"  I always say, and turn it off whenever I find it on.

Well, last week, my son and I went to visit the psychologist.  We suspected he might have ADD.  One of the questions was, "Does you son like to have music or noise when he's doing his homework?"

"Why, yes," I said.  "And it's driving me crazy!"

The psychologist laughed.  Then he went to his computer and pulled up some brain pictures.  "This is a normal brain," he said, pointing and some MRI images.  "You can see normal activity in the frontal lobe."

I looked at the picture and nodded my head.

He continued.  "Here's a brain of a person who has ADD."  he pointed at the frontal lobe, where there were obviously black "holes" in it.  "There's not enough activity here to be picked up by the MRI," he explained.

He pulled up another picture.  The brain had even more "holes."  "This is what happens when you 'force' an ADD person to focus.  They shut down even more."

"Okay," I said.  "But what does noise have to do with it?"

The psychologist grinned.  "Noise stimulates the frontal lobe and helps the ADD person focus.  The 'holes' shrink."

Bubba thought that was great news.  "See, Mama!  I told you I needed music and TV to help me do my homework!"

So  much for quiet!


 

37 comments:

  1. Now you know - he needs to jam while studying. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to invest in a good pair of ear plugs!

      Delete
  2. so now we have a diagnosis for all those crazy people who like to listen to heavy metal music!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great blog. I know a little someone who has the same noisy problem. :-) I am you newest follower (for the moment), and I know I'm going to enjoy this parental humor.
    Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's an interesting bit of information about the ADD brain. Ear plugs for you, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Because I most definitely do not have ADD!

      Delete
  5. I can relate to the noise problem! TV time is after homework and only for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would die. I'm so sorry. Of course, it's probably the same deal for my youngest. He does so much better when I'm reading to him or he's listening to music. (No TV in our house.) Guess we just have to focus on classical that gets the brain focused, eh?

    True Heroes from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind it so much if he wanted to listen to classical music. He wants to listen to the mindless Mindcraft music!

      Delete
  7. I had to come here today, because I saw the title of your post and wondered what that word meant. ;)

    All musicians in our house, and three of them guitarists of some type. Not many moments when we can use the Q word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I make plenty of noise myself when I'm practicing my instruments, but I still like quiet when I'm writing or reading!

      Delete
  8. How fascinating! I had no idea that noise and music could help those with ADD to focus. I always listen to music when I am writing... Hmm.... :) Hopefully your son can listen to his music or tv at a low level so you can focus and he can concentrate. Headphones might be a good idea. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Headphones could work, as long as they're not cranked up too loud.

      Delete
  9. Good luck to him with his noise......and to you also.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is news to me. Very interesting stuff.

    Sorry that your house looks like it is remaining on Full Volume. That would drive me NUTS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was pretty interesting, too.

      Yes, this Mama is going to completely lose her mind before her kids become adults!

      Delete
  11. Never knew that. Good luck with the noise

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww Sherry, there goes your quiet time. Get some good ear plugs. My nephew too loves to do his homework with either the music playing loudly or the T.V on. I always wonder how he manages to concentrate. My Q word was also Quiet. You are right, great minds do think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's really interesting!. Maybe worth investing in some good headphones..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have to live with constant noise, I'd say that's a good idea!

      Delete
  14. Wow, that's fascinating. So distraction is actually helpful for them! Maybe it's time for you to invest in earplugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to believe, isn't it? I guess I'm not going to win this battle!

      Delete
  15. Suddenly my husband makes total sense. He needs noise, while I needed quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sometimes I have several ADHD students in one classroom, so I know what it's like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to deal with if you don't have ADD/ADHD!

      Delete
  17. Bubba seems like a normal happy, wonderfully creative little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am soooo with you here! I have two boys and it is so loud I have to turn my music on just to have some peace. I'm glad Bubba knows what works for him and you are such an understanding and patient mom!

    ReplyDelete