Mama Diaries

Monday, April 21, 2014

Rowdy Raccoons

Raccoons were a big problem where I used to live in Cincinnati, Ohio.  They were fearless creatures, coming up to the front door, staring in the windows, and going through our garbage.  Our outdoor cat got into quite a few tousles with them.

One night, about two years ago, our giant German Shepherd, Schultz decided to deal with the ruffians.  It was midnight, and my husband had let Schultz out for his last potty break.  The coons were at the bird feeder, stealing seeds. Schultz spotted them right away and charged.  You should've heard the commotion!  There were four coons hissing, and one very irritated German Shepherd growling and barking.  The scuffle lasted a few minutes, then all four coons climbed over the fence and retreated.  Apparently they didn't like a very scary-looking dog with large teeth charging at them.

Schultz stood at the fence with his hair standing straight up on his back, making sure the coons were gone for good.  When he was satisfied that they were, he gave another bark and trotted into the house.

He wagged his tail, and looked quite pleased with himself.  "Good boy, Schultz," my husband said, giving him a treat.

(Schultz must've made quite an impression that night, because we never saw the coons in our back yard after that!)

43 comments:

  1. They probably decided your yard wasn't worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for Schultz.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents have a lot of racoons around there home and bird feeders. Once a baby got stuck in their garage and we didn't know it until we saw the adults, standing on their hind paws, looking at the door with concerned looks on their faces. They were waiting for their baby! We got the baby out and the family dissappeared into the night. But they came back the next evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a crazy story! Hopefully the little guy didn't get stuck, again!

      Delete
  4. Raccoons can be so vicious. Good doggie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Now they know not to mess with a ferocious German Shepherd!

      Delete
  6. Schultz put the run to them. They sure can destroy, good for him

    ReplyDelete
  7. We used to have raccoons in our yard, but no German Shepherds to deal with them. In fact, I once petted a raccoon on accident. It was pitch black, and I thought it was my cat. I flicked on the light and both of us were very surprised. I'm just glad I didn't get bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Schultz really scared the hell out of the raccoons. That's why they must have gone away to place which doesn't have Schultz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be scared, too, if an angry German Shepherd was after me!

      Delete
  9. Awesome. That's all it takes. I debated getting a cat many times to scare off mice and roaches, but as it turns out, I might be just as allergic to cat as mice or roaches. We opted for a pest service instead.

    True Heroes from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the pest service took care of the problem just fine!

      Delete
  10. sounds like schultz can be a tiger as well as a teddy bear :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! He's as lovable as can be around his pack, but if you mess with his pack or invade his territory when it's not permissable, he can get quite aggressive!

      Delete
  11. Do you rent Shultz? I have a parade of raccoons. I'd rather only have one or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. I'm sure Schultz would have a great time getting rid of your bandit pests!

      Delete
  12. Schultz was your Gandalf. "You shall not pass!!"

    Brandon Ax: Writer's Storm

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, go Schultz! Raccoons are notoriously tough and stubborn; he really must've freaked them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he did! He's at least four times bigger than one of them, and he has big teeth and a big bite!

      Delete
  14. You go, Schulz. Raccoons are very tasty when roasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I wouldn't know, but I'll take your word for it. ;0)

      Delete
  15. Congratulations Sherry Ellis! You won a copy of Jacqui Jacoby's WITH A VENGEANCE on Romance Reader!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha! They can have those greasy burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Schultz has come in handy quite a few times!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazingly, he didn't have a scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  19. of course, a coon one, a penguin one, a possum one, and we're recruiting a mercat one too currently

    ReplyDelete
  20. And here was me wishing we had racoons in my part of the world,I suppose the nearest we get is the urban fox.

    Great interview by why books are important to children by the way. I don't think I'd be the person I am today if it wasn't for my earliest memory being of my nana reading to my sister and I.

    ReplyDelete