Mama Diaries

Sunday, May 24, 2015

A Sparkly Celebration

My kids are thrilled to be out of school. My son, Bubba, came off the bus waving his hands in the air,  yelling, "I'm free!"

My daughter had a different kind of celebration. It involved sparklers. You know - those things that are basically fireworks on a stick.

"Mom, we need to go to the store," she had said.

"What for?" I'd asked.

"To get sparklers. My friend is coming over after our last day of school, and we're going to light sparklers."

It didn't sound too harmful. So I agreed to this. We came home with ten boxes of sparklers. I figured there would be enough for a fourth of July celebration, too.

That's not how it worked.

At 10:00 at night, the girls went out with all of the sparklers.   Yes, all of them.

They had a blast, yelling and running around the yard with crackling lights on a stick.

When they came in I shook my head. "Do you have any left?"

My daughter grinned. "No."

"Do you realize how many sparklers you just used?"

She did the math. "Two hundred?"

"Yeah. Two hundred. Don't you think that was a little excessive?"

She shook her head. "Not after this year!"

41 comments:

  1. you will need real fireworks when she leaves school one day

    ReplyDelete
  2. must have been rough school year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must mean that every one is excessive this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an excessively rough year. So it required an excessively large celebration to finally be out!

      Delete
  4. I know just how your daughter feels! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol one for every school day she had to sit through

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is tough to be in school these days! I love her answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want to have to go through the middle school years again!

      Delete
  7. Wow, you guys get out of school early!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LMBO!!!!!

    200?

    200?!?!

    That's a hoot!!!!

    I want some sparklers now...

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my daughter bought the entire supply at the store near us!

      Delete
  9. "I'm free" is exactly thew way I used to feel on the last day of school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how excited they usually are on the first day of school. Huge difference on the last day!

      Delete
  10. After this week at work, I could have used 2000 sparklers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 200?? What kind of year did she have ... whoa...:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite a year. We're both glad it's over!

      Delete
  12. Hey, at least you got through 200 sparklers without setting anyone's hair on fire, the house on fire, the neighbor's house on fire. I have boys (You do too!). There would have been a trip to the ER, etc... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have been a lot more nervous if it had been my son and his friends running around with 200 sparklers!

      Delete
  13. Oh I love sparklers. 200 of them though? That must have been some year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it!! My Urchins still have 2 hot, humid, crazy weeks to go until their school ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most schools start a lot later than we do in Georgia.

      Delete
  15. Sparklers were so much fun when I was a kid--mostly because it was the only thing my parents would let me go near when it came to fireworks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to like sparklers, too, when I was a kid.

      Delete
  16. I am afraid of sparklers. They spit fire.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun way to end the year! I bet the celebration looked beautiful and felt wonderful. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girls got a lot of really cool night pictures with them.

      Delete
  18. Ten boxes of sparklers? Wow, you're a generous mom, Sherry! Hahaha! I've bought at most 2 boxes for my boy. Maybe because Singapore is so strict so there's really no much thrill playing with these stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew she needed a big celebration after this year!

      Delete
  19. Haha! 200??? So awesome. I love kids. :)

    ReplyDelete