Mama Diaries

Friday, May 29, 2015

Croaky Conversations

It sounds like I live in an Amazon rainforest. Why? Well, it has something to do with a certain amphibian that lives under our roof. He's an African clawed frog, and his name is Croaky.

Croaky likes to croak. Usually, he has nobody to croak to, because he lives all by himself in his tank. Things have been a little different this week, though. We seem to have a plethora of tree frogs in the forest. And it's mating season. You would not believe the sounds emanating from the woods behind our house! Those little buggers go from dawn to dusk.  Croaky is absolutely thrilled. He's croaking all night now, trying to attract the attention of a lady frog out there.

There's just one problem. Croaky has a room mate. And that room mate is our hundred pound German Shepherd, Schultz. Schultz has not been pleased with the racket his green friend has been making. This morning when I let the hairy beast out of his crate, he walked right up to Croaky's tank and barked at it.

"What's the matter, Schultz? Do you have a late night entertainer there?"

He made a funny grunt sound and trotted off.

(Croaky had better watch it. Schultz might decide to tip his tank!)

30 comments:

  1. Croaky better hope he can cling to the ceiling then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. He doesn't stand a chance if Schultz tips his tank!

      Delete
  2. I have a picture of my dog staring at a frog with her nose just inches from it. My husband said on a different day, she picked it up and started to run off with it. So now I try to keep her away from frogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh. That might not go so well for the frog!

      Delete
  3. lol schultz may have croaky for dinner if he doesn't let him get his beauty sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I wonder how Schultz would like frog legs. ;0)

      Delete
  5. It always amazes me just how loud the croaking can get in the evenings, especially when there as been a lot of rain like lately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Oh Schultz, your roomie is just feeling amorous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. He shouldn't mess with a frog in that condition.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I thought it was rather amusing that Schultz expressed his displeasure.

      Delete
  8. Uh oh. Sounds like trouble's brewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Croaky had better watch his step. . . or would that be hop? ;0)

      Delete
  9. Croaky: What a creative name. I don't want frogs in my house. I suspect Schultz agrees with me.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frog and the frog's name were Bubba's ideas. That was when he was five. I had no idea those things could live for 15 years, or I would've never agreed to get one.

      Delete
  10. I'm with the dog on this one. I don't get very happy when my roommate is trying to throw out mating calls for poor, unsuspecting ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Croaky need to be respectful of Schultz. He should do his calling during the day, when Schultz isn't around. ;0)

      Delete
  11. My cat has a couple of pet frogs in our backyard too.... he likes to play with them... they don't seem to appreciate it! But at night they come out and eat his food....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Schultz might decide he loves frog legs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no, it's great that everyone still gets a good night sleep after all the croaking (and barking).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see Schultz doing that. Croaking and barking, a new type of music in your house, yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they do it with perfect intonation, and in time, it might not be so bad. ;0)

      Delete