Mama Diaries

Friday, May 8, 2015

Fabricating Cuff Links

This story has nothing to do with my kids, but it showcases my incredibly resourceful mama skills.

Last night, I performed for the grand opening of the Porsche World Headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia. One of the other musicians, a cello/guitar player, forgot to wear his cufflinks. This would've resulted in seriously floppy sleeves. We couldn't have that at such a prestigious event!

He looked in his stack of stuff he had brought and found two paperclips. "How can we turn these into cuff links?" he asked.

I looked at him and shrugged. "Do you have any tools?"

Of course he had tools. He's a guy. He pulled out his tool belt which had some pliers and wire cutters.

"Perfect," I said. "Now just straighten out the paper clips, insert them through the button holes, and we'll fasten them together."

That's exactly what we did. He straightened and inserted them. Then I took the pliers and gave them a good twist. We trimmed the access wire, and voila, we had a perfect pair of cuff links!

Mama to the rescue, again!     

28 comments:

  1. lmao add another use for paperclips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing the things you can do with paperclips!

      Delete
  2. You are inventive Sherry...:-) ... Have a fabulous weekend xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you didn't have to use Duct tape.
    And what an honor for you! Do any shopping while at Porsche World?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish! Porsches are awesome cars, but there's no way I could ever afford one on my meager musician's salary!

      Delete
  4. Coolio! I'll have to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moral of the story: Carry paperclips and tools wherever you go!

      Delete
  5. What a fantastic thing to do. Good for you Sherry, well done.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Improvise, adapt, and overcome. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the way to roll. Good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The brilliance of the venue is only exceeded by the brilliance of your ingenuity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been hearing about this event on CNBC! How exciting that you got to perform there. And how creative you were ~ but then you're a mom. Moms are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so cool! I saw it on the news, too, but I didn't see any mention of any of the entertainment there. Too bad. There were some really amazing performers, and even a fashion show.

      Delete
  10. You're the lady Mcgiver! I'm not sure if I spelled that right. Have you ever considered being a spy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a spy. I use my spy skills to keep track of what my kids are up to. (But don't tell them!) ;)

      Delete
  11. That's so brilliant, Sherry! Those clips are probably his life savers at that moment! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They worked really well. Brilliant on his part to have paperclips and tools on him in case of such an emergency!

      Delete
  12. Well done! this is awesome. For some reason, I had the MacGyver song in my head when I read your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You're the second one to think MacGyver. :)

      Delete
  13. Interesting (i would worry that the sharp ends might pick at something like a cashmere wood suit jacket). It has been a long time since I have owned a shirt with cuff links, but I still have several pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little tough for him not to scratch the cello when he played, but he managed.

      Delete
  14. Okay. I don't speak Indonesian, but thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way to save the day, Sherry! You have more talent than you know. :-)

    ReplyDelete