Mama Diaries

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Special Garbage

At the end of every week, I go through my son's backpack to clear out the stuff he doesn't need. Usually there are piles of crumpled papers, flyers, and miscellaneous odds and end. (Honestly, I don't know how he manages to accumulate so much junk in a week!)

Yesterday, when I went through the backpack, I found a crumpled white paper with holes in it. I put it in the pile of things to throw away. When I was finished, I called my son over. "Bubba, I'm going to toss all this garbage."

He looked at my pile and immediately pulled out the crumpled white paper with holes in it. "Not this!"

I shrugged. "What do you need that piece of garbage for?"

He didn't answer. He walked away with his holey paper.

A short time later, he returned. "Mama, I have something for you."

I took the blue-construction paper card from his hands. It of course, was  a Mother's Day card.  The cover was quite lovely with all kinds of sweet sentiments written on it. Then I looked inside.

Guess what I saw?

The white paper with holes in it!  This time it  looked a little less crumpled. 

"It's a snowflake," my son said. "I made it for you!"

Oops!

(Fortunately, we both got a laugh out of it.  That was definitely special garbage!)


Before I go, I would like to wish all moms a very Happy Mother's Day! Enjoy your day!

38 comments:

  1. You almost spoiled his surprise!
    Have a wonderful Mother's Day, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha how dare you try and throw that out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet little guy! I'm sure after a trip in the back pack it was hard to tell what it was until he smoothed it all out and pasted it into your card.
    Posted my first #WeekendCoffeeShare at Life & Faith in Caneyhead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll stop by and check out your post. It was hard to tell what the paper was when it was all crumpled up!

      Delete
  4. Happy Mama's Day to you.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you blog mom! Happy Mother's Day to you, too!

      Delete
  5. Happy Mother's Day.

    I've accidentally thrown out things that are not garbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. But it would have been extra bad to have thrown out my Mother's Day present! ;0)

      Delete
  6. Happy Mothers Day... I have learned over the years to do what you do... clean it out then ask them to look through everything... I too would have thrown out important things to them otherwise xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I used to just toss things. But after tossing a few important items, I figured it's best to check first.

      Delete
  7. you just said what most people think :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Yes. That would have been a sad event if I hadn't!

      Delete
  9. Oops! :)) Aww..So sweet of him though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A paper snowflake is not what I was expecting at this time of year. ;0)

      Delete
  10. Oh how sweet. Lucky he gets to sort through these first.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How sweet! Yesterday, a mom with three kids came in. They were about ages six to twelve, ish. She was trying on sandals and every time she tried to pay, they yelled at her saying she can't pay for her own gift. She looked so happy and the kids looked so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great you received the card from Bubba. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's pretty funny. One person's trash is definitely another's treasure. And I've been known to throw out some of my wife's stuff on accident, thinking it was trash. Now I ask. Happy mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's smart! Thanks for the Mother's Day wishes!

      Delete
  14. A perfect Mother's Day present.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Son has made cute presentation but mother nearly destroy it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How thoughtful your son is Sherry, I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day.

    Yvonne(sorry I am late)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a very nice Mother's Day. Apparently everyone thought I needed more chocolate, so I got lots of that! ;0) Not complaining about it!

      Delete
  17. Aw, I'm glad the surprised wasn't ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That boy is a wonder! Happy Mother's Day one day late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you had a nice Mother's Day as well.

      Delete