Mama Diaries

Thursday, July 30, 2015

The New Pet

It's always interesting to go on vacation with your kids. Spending a lot of time with them really allows you to know what's going on in their heads.

What's going on in my teenage daughter's head is a desire to own more pets. "Mom," she said. "My friend has a pet hedgehog."

"That's nice," I said.

She put her iPhone in front of my face. "Here's a picture of it puking up peas. It's so cute. Can I get one?"

I gave her one of my sideways looks. "No."

"What about a pocket pet? I've always wanted one of those."

"What's a pocket pet?" I asked.

"Those things we saw at the mall. They look like flying squirrels."

"No. Absolutely no flying squirrels!"

She must've figured she wasn't going to get any new adorable fur balls, so she stopped the discussion.

Later, my family and I stopped at a restaurant called Cracker Barrel. It's one of those places that has a gift shop inside. When we were about to leave, my husband said he had to do something and he'd meet us at the car. I figured that meant a trip to the restroom.

We waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, I went back in to see if he had gotten lost. I found him. He had just finished checking out, and he had a package under his arm.

"What's that?" I asked.

He handed it to me. I looked inside.

It was our new pet. A pig. Her name is Petunia. And she's very nice. She even walks and wiggles her nose. The good news is, she doesn't fly or puke up peas. I think we'll keep her.

42 comments:

  1. Hope that made your daughter happy.
    That hedgehog picture sounded like something out of the Exorcist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine why anyone would want a pet hedgehog.

      Delete
  2. haha now there is a pet with no muss no fuss. How can puking up peas be cute?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea, but the thing was covered in green paste. Disgusting!

      Delete
  3. Haha! She is cute. I don't care if my family wants more pets, as long as I'm not the one that has to look after it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm done with pets. Once the ones we have bite the dust, there will be no more. I love animals, but dealing with their messes is not fun!

      Delete
  4. I'll take one of those too ♡ I've had to stand firm on the no more policy myself...I'm considered the meenie... what can you do... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, by the time Schultz dies, my kids will be in college. Then I don't have to listen to them begging me for more animals.

      Delete
  5. Just keep lady Petunia away from Bootsie and Schultzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schultz doesn't seem to be interested. That's good!

      Delete
  6. A stuff animal is the best pet of all, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. A pet that doesn't puke up peas or anything, is a good pet!

      Delete
  8. My nephews go crazy in the Cracker Barrel gift shop.

    Petunia is cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like her. I reminded Favorite Young Man recently that he begged for a ferret when he was a young teen, and I said, Absolutely not. He said, Good call.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids wanted a ferret at one time. I said no way. Ferrets are not to be trusted!

      Delete
  10. It'll be interesting to see how many pets she has when she has a household of her own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has already informed me that she will have three dogs. I said, "Good luck with that!"

      Delete
  11. How cute! I also want a "pocket pet". They're called sugar gliders. They are beyond adorable but require very special care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Special care is not something I want to deal with - cute or not!

      Delete
  12. How cute, bet your daughter was happy.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A pig is always a great choice when you get your pets in the stuffed variety.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best kind of pet, your husband is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Schultz might think he has a new toy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a cute pig. I love animals, but I don't think I'll have more than 3 pets at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, any more than that, it gets out of control!

      Delete
  17. Just popping over to wish you the happiest of B-days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Petunia is so adorable, Sherry! Guess she must be real happy. Is she carrying Petunia to bed? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. She's outgrown the sleeping with stuffed animals stage.

      Delete
  19. Aw, how cute! I remember owning a toy pig just like that as a kid. It didn't have the adorable bow, though... :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Petunia is so cute and what a lovely surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  21. this little piggie! good old cracker barrell - yes, vacations are full of discoveries =)
    we just got back from our vacay at norris lake. and i can tell you what goes on inside teenage boys' heads - how can i be annoying and get a rise out of everyone, darn the consequences... and they never grow out of it!

    ReplyDelete