Mama Diaries

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Johnny Orangeseed

"Guess what I did, today?" my eleven-year-old son said when he came home from school.

"What did you do?" I couldn't wait to hear this one.

"I planted the orange seeds from the orange you gave me in my lunch."

"You did?" I asked. "I'm not sure they'll grow here. It might get too cold for them in the winter."

"I didn't plant all of them outside," he said. "I planted some inside."

"Where?" I asked.

"In the cafeteria."

"What?" I couldn't imagine where this was going.

"Yeah. The janitor doesn't do a very good job of sweeping, so I made a pile of dirt and garbage with my feet under the table and planted one there."

I tried not to laugh. "Seriously? Don't you think that's going to get swept up?"

He shook his head. "No. It'll be there for at least a year." He continued. "I planted more, too."

"Where, Bubba? In the bathroom?"

He grinned. "How did you guess?"

I shook my head. "It seemed like something you would do.  Where in the bathroom did you plant it?" 

"I took a paper towel, got it wet, and wrapped the seed inside. Then I put it under the sink. I'm sure the janitor won't see it."

Okay.

(He also planted some seeds outside in the class garden. Any bets on which ones will come up first?)



47 comments:

  1. I kinda hope one of them does grow somehow. I can imagine the school coming back from Christmas or summer vacation (or however long it takes for an orange tree to grow) and finding the tree in the cafeteria or bathroom. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked him the following day if they were still there. He said no. The janitor must've read this post. ;0)

      Delete
  2. If the one in the cafeteria grows, I'd be really worried...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, dear Sherry! After watching the trailer for the new horror movie Cooties in which 4th graders eat tainted chicken nuggets in the school cafeteria, turn into killer zombies and march on their teachers, I wouldn't be too eager to consume oranges grown in the cafeteria or the boys' restroom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha... It'd be funny if the cafeteria or bathroom one grew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ask him how he would plant a banana?

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! My son keeps doing that here--pulling the seeds out of his fruits and planting them out back. I'm actually afraid some of them will grow and then I'll feel like the meanest mean ever for plucking a baby tree from the middle of my flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you'll have to identify the leaves to make sure you're not pulling out an apple tree. ;0)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. No. He's not allowed to bring a camera to school.

      Delete
  8. It would be great if one did grow. Fun son to have Sherry.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's funny is that I think he's right...the janitor probably won't see that toilet paper seed in the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well the bathroom has lots of umm manure for it to grow in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Only Bubba would think to plant it in the dirt pile on the cafeteria floor!

      Delete
  12. Kinda sad that he feels like the janitor won't notice the pile of garbage. Frightening if the janitor doesn't notice the pile of garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  13. beyond your story I came across new word "Janitor". Thanks for that mam.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the one in the bathroom will come up first but will be the one nobody eats.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Should've taken a photo & check back later. Hahaha! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving the idea of an orange tree growing in the bathroom. And how wonderful to be able to pick them from a tree growing in the middle of the cafe. Part of me is almost hoping the janitor won't see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The janitor found it. Bubba will have to plant orange seeds somewhere else.

      Delete
  17. That's one terrible janitor!
    But it would be cool if they grow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The janitor must've read this post, because he cleaned up the pile.

      Delete
  18. It would be exciting if one of them grew! I don't think the janitor would like this kind of publicity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahaha...I guess the janitor would be glad of a garden in the cafeteria :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What if one really grew? It would make headlines!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL. That poor school would be overpopulated with oranges if they were able to grow in such odd places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then the oranges wouldn't have to be imported. ;0)

      Delete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The paper towel idea isn't half bad actually. That seems like it's got the best chance of sprouting. If it does, he should actually plant it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The janitor got it first. It is a pretty good idea. We used to sprout apple seeds that way.

      Delete