Thursday, September 3, 2015
King Henry Died Drinking Chocolate Milk
"Mom," my teenage daughter said. "King Henry died drinking chocolate milk."
I looked at the girl. "Are you sure about that? You need to double check your source."
She laughed. "That's what my teacher said."
"Why in the world would your teacher tell you that? It might be true that King Henry died of food poisoning, but it wasn't from drinking chocolate milk."
Then the truth came out. "It's a memory device for learning the metric system and doing conversions: Kilo, hecto, deca, deci, centi, and milli."
Oh. That made sense.
So, how did King Henry really die? Food poisoning - from eating an excessive amount of lampreys (small eels). His physician told him not to do it. But King Henry didn't listen. Too bad for him.
If you want to learn about this math conversion system, go here.