Mama Diaries

Monday, May 29, 2017

Cat Present

Bootsy, our cat, likes to leave an assortment of presents for me on our back deck. These are usually things like dead beetles, dead frogs, dead chipmunks, dead mice . . . you get the picture. Yesterday's present was something a little different: a wasp nest.

I had to look twice. It was a paper wasp nest, probably about two inches in diameter. Bootsy had plopped it right in front of our back door. He sat next to it, looking all proud of himself.

Fortunately, there weren't any wasps in it, which made me wonder exactly what had transpired between Bootsy and the insects. Probably I don't want to know!



I have two other things I want to share with you. The first is a video-making site that all you authors might be interested in. It's called Biteable. You can make slide shows featuring your books, and use them as part of your marketing campaign. The cost to make them is free, but to download them and post them on YouTube, you either pay a monthly subscription fee of about $30, or $99 for a year.

Here's a video I made:




The other thing I want to share, is a video that was made by a local high school student, documenting the problem of drugs and alcohol among teenagers in the area where I live. It's very eye-opening and relevant to  teenagers everywhere. If you are a parent of middle school or high school kids, I would encourage you to watch it. (It's long - 30 minutes. If you don't have  a lot of time, go to the 20 - 22 minute mark  to learn where kids hide the drugs.)

Click on this link.

34 comments:

  1. Thanks Sherry for a most interesting post, the two videos I thought was great.
    My cat that I used to have always seemed to bring in birds. Hope all is well.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha must have been some fight to get that nest. That is neat with the video. No teens here, so can stay away from the drug and alcohol fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certain it did not fare well for the wasps.

      Delete
  3. my cat brought me a dead baby bird... with no head... a few weeks ago, and before that a mole, I don't know if she expects me to cook it for her...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't cats wonderful at surprises? I had one that left gifts on the doorstep. And we had on who would go out and kill a squirrel, carry it up the drive by the head while walking with her head up high & proud, then she'd lay it down for her kittens and dare any dog to interfere.
    Featured Post: It's Not All Cookouts at Life & Faith in Caneyhead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cats are generous that way.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's an honor to be given cat gifts. Shows how much he loves you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting videos. Perhaps the wasps had already moved out before Bootsy found it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they hadn't, they didn't seem to affect Bootsy.

      Delete
  8. I never had a cat that brought me presents, my cats were selfish. But I had an old hound dog that used to bring me things like dead rats. I constantly tried to get him to stop, but it never worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny. Our dog is selfish. He expects things to be brought to him. Not Bootsy. Bootsy is a very thoughtful cat.

      Delete
  9. Cute video, Sherry! Love the upbeat music in it.

    And LOL, Bootsy's so generous to get you your very own wasp nest... XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to decorate with it. ;)

      Delete
  10. Great video. Thanks for showing us the one you made. Here's to Bootsy. Let's hope she never tangles with a community of wasps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Bootsy can stand his ground. He's one tough cat!

      Delete
  11. Your video is awesome! Thanks for sharing the site with us. I hadn't heard of it before.

    Glad there were no wasps in the nest!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too. I would not have been pleased with the present if the insects were still in residence.

      Delete
  12. That could have been a scary gift. Thanks for sharing the videos with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My cat brought a dead mouse to our kitchen sliding-glass door and ate in while I watched. It was gross, yet oddly captivating at the same time. Last night I went out there and found a live baby bunny in the same spot. We put kitty inside and lead the baby bunny back to the bushes. Hope it found its family!

    Thanks for the video link. I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby bunny probably had a heart attack from the encounter with your kitty.

      Delete
  14. I'm glad Bootsy wasn't hurt! Good kitty!
    I love your video! Well done!
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bootsy is tough! He's been in a lot of tussles, but he always manages to land on his feet.

      Delete
  15. I want to know now. How was Bootsy not hurt!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He meowed ferociously, and the wasps flew off in terror.

      Delete
  16. My cat brings me my wife's hair clips. Don't ask me why, only hair clips. I'm the wasp killer in this house.

    I love your video. If I were to use that site, it would need 100% more explosions, Michael Bay style. I hope they can accommodate my request.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know you are supposed to praise your cat for bringing you things - but I just don't think I could praise a cat for bringing me a wasp's nest!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was wondering if I could use this write-up on my other website, I will link it back to your website though.Great Thanks.
    unique gifts for cat lovers

    ReplyDelete