Mama Diaries

Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Lemonade, Inc.

Running a lemonade stand these days is a complicated business! It used to be that you could just put up a table, mix a pitcher of lemonade, maybe make a sign, and wait for the crowds to show up. Or not.

That's not the way it is anymore. You're supposed to have a lemonade stand permit before you set up anywhere. Why? I have no idea. Probably just a way for cities to profit from the entrepreneurial youngsters in the area.

My boy and his friends made it even more complicated. Each person selling lemonade had to have stock in the company.

Stock?

Yes, ladies and gentlemen. This is how it went down:

"Mama," my boy said. "I own stock in the lemonade stand."

"What?" This sounded absolutely ridiculous. "How much did you pay into this lemonade company?"

"$1.50."

Okay. That wasn't bad.

He explained further. "We had to buy stock, so that we could participate in the sales. If you don't contribute, you don't get any of the profits."

It kind of made sense. They used their "stock money" to purchase lemonade mix and cover any other business expenses they accrued.

It worked out pretty well for my boy. The young entrepreneurs had a substantial amount of sales. They set up for three days, and every day, each boy made $10.50. I'd say that was a good payback! 

34 comments:

  1. That's not bad! You have a businessman in the making there.
    A permit for a lemonade stand is crazy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Why can't kids just set up without one?

      Delete
  2. That is a great return indeed. Good business sense. Wacko that they want to make kids get a permit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was probably the most successful lemonade stand ever.

      Delete
  3. Good for your son, shows he has quite a future.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never thought of stock in a lemonade stand. Leave it to Bubba.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job, Bubba. He's a budding businessman for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's actually a good idea. Make them all put in the start up costs. Clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a parent, I think it's wonderful. Now I don't have to foot the cost of supplies!

      Delete
  7. Lemonade stand permit!??! What is the world coming to--LOL! :) Nice that they made a profit, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wish kids would not think about money at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they kind of have to. It's preparation for adulthood.

      Delete
  9. This reminds of the add for a telephone company where they see a lemonade stand and the little girl charges an exuberant amount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I would say their cost was reasonable. I think it was 50 cents a cup. They sold a lot!

      Delete
  10. Brilliant! Way to go! That is excellent! I can't believe they had to have a lemonade stand permit. That is crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is ridiculous. And I've heard of kids getting fined for not having one.

      Delete
  11. Wow! They did so well for themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Didn't I hear somewhere of a child being fined because they didn't have a permit for selling lemonade at their parent's garage sale.

    Anyway, way to go Bubba. He's obviously quite the budding entrepreneur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably did. I've heard of a similar situation. Ridiculous!

      Delete
  13. Wow! That is a considerable amount of money. Maybe I should set up a lemonade stand. ;)

    Crazy that kids have to have a permit to sell lemonade. I am curious about why that started happening.

    Bravo to the young entrepreneurs. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be some kind of moneymaker for the city. I don't think it's a great way to encourage kids to develop an entrepreneurial spirit.

      Delete
  14. Those earnings are great! Had no idea lemonade stands require permits nowadays, though...wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy! I hope cities do away with that. It doesn't seem very fair.

      Delete
  15. Those sound like some smart kids. I tried a lemonade stand when I was a kid but never got too far with it. I've always been better at losing money than making it.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids have always had good luck with them. Must've have been the location - and their charming personalities. :)

      Delete
  16. Your kid's a smarter investor than I am. 60 years from now, when I'm an elderly Walmart greeter and I say hello to him, I hope he'll flip me a quarter.

    ReplyDelete