Mama Diaries

Monday, October 22, 2018

Guest Author, Dennis Higgins

Today, I have a special guest:  Author, Dennis Higgins. This guy has some serious talent as a writer. I've enjoyed reading all of his books! His newest, Christmas Returns to Pottersville, is a lovely story that's perfect for the Christmas season.



Hi, Dennis! Welcome to Mama Diaries!

Thanks so much for having me, Sherry.

1.     Christmas Returns to Pottersville is a clever combination of A Christmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life. Tell us about how the inspiration to create such a story came about.   

I have always loved both stories you mentioned. I heard a movie critic talking about It’s a Wonderful Life saying he wished someone would write a story of redemption where Potter saw his life, had he never been born. So, I wrote it. I suppose, I should tell that critic about it.

You should definitely contact the critic. I'm sure he'd be very interested in this story!

2.     What was a challenge you faced in writing this story? How did you overcome it?

The challenge was that I was already doing research for my next book on internet scammers while trying to finish this one. I missed last Christmas deadline and didn’t get it finished until this year. But, perhaps this was the right time for the book’s release.

I think it's out right in time for Christmas, so it's perfect timing!

3.     What do you want your readers to get out of reading your book?

I hope the reader has a sense of optimism that while this world seems to have gone wrong and become a bit like Pottersville, there is hope and love conquers all.

That's a beautiful message!

4.     Tell us about yourself and how you became a writer.

I always enjoyed putting stories down on paper. It was the best thing I did in school. I have no formal literature education, I just have a vivid imagination. I wrote my first book in 2009-2010. That was my time travel along Route 66 book. I am a person who believes strongly in God and very little in politics. I love music, art, and animals.

I think a lot of us writers can relate to the "no formal literature education" and a "vivid imagination"!

5.     Do you have any advice for writers?

Not really because we writers are all different.

That's true. I'd say if writing is something you enjoy, stick with it. 

6.     What are you working on now?

My next WIP is different from all my other works. I have actually infiltrated the seedy side of the internet and allowed myself to be a would-be victim of several scammers. I did this to learn their techniques and what makes them tick. To learn what makes them the type of people who could cheat others out of money. It has been an eye opener. I call it: Confessions of an Internet Scammer.

Sounds intriguing! This might help others not get scammed.

7.     What is your favorite Christmas memory? 

Wow! I would say it is the collective memory of all my childhood Christmases. The anticipation and love of my family. Gathering around our silver 1960s Christmas tree and taking our time opening presents on Christmas eve, always after we had dinner. My mom believed in making the magic last. All of my immediate family have passed away accept for my brother and me.

I never had a silver Christmas tree, but I sure enjoyed all the Christmas festivities as you have. 

8.     Do you enjoy watching Christmas movies? If so, do you have a favorite?

Yes, yes, and yes. So hard to pick a favorite, although It’s a Wonderful Life is way up there. So is A Christmas Story, White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, and one very few have every heard of. It’s called 10th Avenue Angel with Margaret O’Brien and a very young and pretty Angela Lansbury. I hate to admit this as they may take away my guy card, but I even like cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies.

It's okay. We'll forgive you for that. :)  I always liked the animated movies. Rudolph, Frosty, and Heat Miser Cold Miser.  

9.     Did your family make Christmas cookies? Would you share the recipe of your favorite cookie?  

My mom was the cookie queen even until her last Christmas on earth. But my favorite of hers were the basic ones she made when we were kids. Tollhouse, Butter cookies (spritz), crescent cookies. Those recipes are fairly basic and obtainable. Since my favorite is chocolate chip, the Nestle morsel bag has that recipe. It was her technique and cookie presses that made her cookies perfect.

Can't go wrong with Tollhouse! Maybe I'll go make some now. :)

10    Where can people find Christmas Returns to Pottersville?

Amazon.com is the exclusive site for this title. Here is the link.

Thanks again for having me on your wonderful blog, Sherry. You are a woman I admire greatly.

Aww, thank you so much, Dennis. It's my pleasure to have you here!



Book Blurb:
Frank Capra’s, It’s a Wonderful Life was the ultimate parallel universe story. George Bailey was shown by an angel a world in which he had never been born. A world where the cute little town of Bedford Falls no longer existed and in its place was the seedy town of Pottersville.
But imagine if Pottersville still existed in the current age, along another path of existence. Welcome to Pottersville, a town owned and operated by Peter F. Potter. A sleazy, corrupt town where Christmas was discouraged and people were miserable. What if Potter was taken to this town, in a world in which he had never been born?





Reviews:


August 31, 2018
Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase
If you have been looking for a new Christmas classic this year, Christmas Returns to Pottersville by Dennis Higgins is the one to get. The main character Mr. Potter has a demeanor of Scrooge out to ruin the Christmas spirit of a town that he practically owns. Tremendous imagination has gone into the making of this story by this creative wordsmith. Excellent Christmas read!


September 30, 2018
Format: Kindle Edition
This was such a great Holiday story. It is a twist on the old classics," Its a wonderful life" and "A Christmas Carol" combined. While I enjoy watching the movies, I must admit that I like this version as well! Peter Potter is the descendant of the original Mr. Potter who "owned" Pottersville and destroys it with greed, corruption, and illicit behavior. I really liked how the author mentioned the movie characters in the story because it makes the story more familiar to the reader. Even with all the meanness that Peter Potter bestows on everyone, there are moments that will make you cry with good emotions. The characters are strong in their beliefs despite coldness and despair that the town is living in. This is a very fast read and one that will fill your heart with joy....and faith ! A definite must read !!!


October 2, 2018
Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase
this is the best story that has been put out there right now, Dennis Higgins has really out done his self with this story it is such a down to earth message for everyone not just at this time but for all the time.
Please read slow an take in what messages are being told to you as your read then go on Facebook or were ever you can send him a message telling him what a great book with such heart meaning words for all to take into their heart and mind I felt like I was right there in that town. thank you for writing this story Dennis Higgins I am going to tell others about but I am not going to say it here I want to give anything away for other readers to feel the words as they read.



October 18, 2018
Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase
Peter Potter is the Scrooge who owns Pottersville. Corruption and discontent run rampant in this miserable little town. After attempting to take his life, Mr. Potter is shown what the place would've been like had he not been born to wreck it. It's a real eye-opener that inspires Mr. Potter to change his ways and create a wonderful life.

Full of imagination, Christmas Returns to Pottersville is a clever combination of the familiar stories of Scrooge (A Christmas Carol) and It's a Wonderful Life. It is a well-written, quick read that offers hope that kindness and love can make the world a better place. A lovely Christmas story recommended for all ages.



Bio:
Award winning author, Dennis Higgins is a distant relative of Davy Crockett, King of the wild frontier. He has traveled the world over, collecting story ideas. As a native of Chicago, Illinois, Dennis Higgins has a passion for things that are gone but not forgotten, a romance with the past. For him, time travel is the answer. If not for real, then in the pages of his books.

Quote: “I once had a passionate affair with an Irish lass back in 1871 Chicago. I broke her heart. It just wasn't our time.”

He now lives in the Chicago suburbs with his lovely wife, a dog and a birds.

Among his influences are: Richard Matheson, Jack Finny, Dean Koontz, Joan Wester Anderson, Peter S. Beagle and Audrey Neffenegger.

Author of Pennies From Across the Veil, the Time Pilgrim series: Katya and Cyrus, Almost Yesterday and Tomorrow's Borrowed Trouble from Whiskey Creek Press. Also five indie books, Parallel Roads (Lost on Route 66), Steampunk Alice, The Old Scrapbook, The Writer’s Apprentice, and Christmas Returns to Pottersville.


LINKS:




Website:





Before I go, I'd like to let you know that my book tour is continuing. I'm a guest on Literary Rambles blog. Please stop by and learn how Bubba and Squirt's Big Dig to China came to be.





35 comments:

  1. Love and hope do conquer all!
    You're right about mothers making the best cookies. Must be the love rubbing off on them.
    Congratulations, Dennis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best to Dennis with his new book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sherry!

    As a boy I watched the Davy Crockett television series and often sang the theme song which included the lyrics "Davy, Davy Crockett, king of the wild frontier." It's fascinating that your guest author, Dennis Higgins, is a distant relative of Davy Crockett!

    The story line of Christmas Returns to Pottersville is fascinating to me. I love a book that explores "what ifs" and follows the premise wherever it leads. I often think how different the world might be "if only." I have always had a vivid imagination and seek the same quality in others.

    There are several Hallmark or Hallmark style holiday films I admit to having watched and enjoyed. They include The Christmas Box, Timepiece, The Christmas Wish, Single Santa Seeks Mrs. Claus and Meet the Santas. I also dig Dean Koontz!

    Thank you, Sherry, for introducing Dennis and his new book Christmas Returns to Pottersville, out just in time for holiday gift giving. His WIP, Confessions of an Internet Scammer, also has my interest piqued big time!

    Enjoy your week, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched that show, too. (The Davy Crockett one.) :)

      I'm intrigued by Dennis' work in progress, too. We'll have to check it out!

      Thanks for always giving such thoughtful comments, Shady!

      Delete
  4. What an inspiring and interesting interview. Congratulations, Dennis. Your book would make a wonderful gift for Christmas. Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Dennis' book would be a perfect Christmas gift for avid readers!

      Delete
  5. All have a vivid imagination indeed. Sounds like a great one too. Be interesting toying with the scammers a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be afraid to mess with the scammers. They might pull a quick one that's hard to get out of.

      Delete
  6. Great interview:) Fantastic looking covers too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Mark. I like Dennis' covers, too. I think my favorite is Pennies from Heaven.

      Delete
  7. Congrats to Dennis on his book. It has a beautiful message!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the latest release of Dennis Higgins. I think it is a 2018 Christmas classic. Great interview, Sherry. Did you end up making the chocolate chip cookies? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sis! I can always count on you.

      Delete
    2. I think it definitely has a classic feel to it. Maybe it'll be a movie someday. :) No, I didn't make the cookies. Ran out of time. :(

      Delete
  9. Perfect timing for this book. Sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about you (Dennis) and about your books. You're a brave man for putting yourself in the line of fire (i.e. scammers). I'll be watching for more updates on that book too. Sherry your interview questions were great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy! I'd be afraid to be in the line of fire of scammers, too!

      Delete
  11. It is all about Love! I agree! This book sounds wonderful! Congrats Dennis!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great to meet Dennis and learn a bit about him and his book! Grats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic interview! Christmas Returns to Pottersville sounds like such a great read for the holiday season. Adore the message of hope and love conquering all...

    ReplyDelete