Mama Diaries

Sunday, July 27, 2014

World's Ugliest Birthday Cake

Yesterday was Bubba's tenth birthday.  To celebrate the occasion, I baked him a cake.  A Minecraft cake, since the boy is totally obsessed with the game.

I wasn't quite sure how to do it, but I figured it would have to have to be squarish in shape, have square pixels thingies, and have many layers that look like they had been crafted. I put on my thinking cap and baked a couple of cakes.  I cut  them up into smaller squares and made some layers.  Then I cut up chocolate candy pieces, fashioning them into square pixel looking thingies.  When I was finished, I showed my masterpiece to my son.  "What do you think?"

He looked at it and scratched his head.  "What is it?"

"Isn't it obvious?"  I asked.  "It's a mountain biome from Minecraft."  

He nodded slowly.  "Yeah. It kind of looks like that.  But I think it looks more like a mushroom biome.  You need to add some grass."

I took the kid's advice and made some green grass with the frosting.  I slopped it on at the base of the mountain.

"There.  Is that better?"  I asked.

"Yeah.  But it still looks like an epic disaster.  Here.  Let me fix it."  The kid grabbed some sugar numbers and applied them to the cake:  9 1 1.  "It's an emergency situation.  It's calling for help."

I scowled at the kid.  "Fine.  I'll go get help." I went down into the basement and found a Lego Princess Leah.  I brought her upstairs and placed her on the cake. "There.  Now it's fixed!"

(Unfortunately, Bubba did not agree.  He named my creation, "The Ugliest Cake in the World."  But it sure was good!)

Here it is:




26 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Bubba! I think the cake is great. When Favorite Young Man turned 30, our friend Lindsey made a hilarious cake fit for an old man. It had prunes and blue M&Ms that were meant to represent a certain pill.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the love and time you took to make that cake that counts, also what it tastes like. I've had some disasters in my day. Belated birthday wishes to Bubba.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think it was all that bad, but I've certainly made better!

      Delete
  3. messy, messy, but I bet he didn't mind eating it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks exactly like Minecraft! Also, I want to eat it. Happy birthday Bubba!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post. So funny and I tell ya, it looks darn good to me. I'd eat it, and then another slice. Well done you.

    Have a great week. Cheers and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one big cake. Seems minecraft like too. Hope he had a great birthday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did. Spent all day playing Minecraft with his friends.

      Delete
  7. I agree LEGO Leah would make it for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! My son couldn't believe I did that. He was insulted. ;0)

      Delete
  8. Looks a little like a mountainous checkers board, maybe? I'm not big on Minecraft, and for me, taste > appearance every time! Happy birthday, Bubba!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I was doing it, I thought it looked like a mutated chess board. ;0)

      Delete
  9. It's chocolate, so that's what matters. ;) Happy birthday to Bubba.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. That was the important part. And it passed with flying colors!

      Delete
  11. Happy Belated Birthday to Bubba. The cake looks great to me and you get an A+ for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you did a nice job. Looks like it tasted good. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Bubba!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday, Bubba! Your mama did a fine job on your cake!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday, Bubba! I think the cake is beautiful and glad to hear it was yummy, too!

    ReplyDelete