Mama Diaries

Friday, September 19, 2014

Finger Turniquette


Yesterday, I saved a finger.  My son's finger.  Let me tell you about it.

When the boy stepped off the school bus, the first thing I noticed was that his pinky finger was an odd shade of purple. (Yes, I notice little things like pinky fingers.)  "Dude," I said.  "What's up with your finger?"

He glanced down at it.  "My friend hurt my finger and I had to put a Band aid on it."

"Let me look at that," I said.  I stooped down and inspected the finger.  That Band aid was on there so tight, it was cutting off his circulation. "Your finger is purple.  We need to get this thing off right away!"

He tried to get it off, but couldn't.  So I did.  Let me just say, it was quite an effort!  After it was removed, the blood rushed into the area, turning his finger bright red.

"It burns!" he said.

"Just for a minute, until everything equalizes."

A few seconds later, everything was back to normal.  "Oh," he said.  "That's better.  I was wondering why my finger was so cold!"

Oy!


Before I go, I'd like to let you know that as a follow-up to my radio interview on Solving the Hunger Problem, I created a Facebook group page, called Solving the Hunger Problem.  It's dedicated to sharing information, solutions and ideas that may help alleviate hunger. If you are on Facebook, I invite you (and your friends) to join and share ideas you may have.  You can find it here.

25 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I hope people will join and share ideas and offer support to help alleviate hunger.

      Delete
  2. You gotta give him credit for trying to doctor his finger even if it was the wrong way. Glad all is well now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mama's the hero again! Yikes what a trauma for Bubba's little finger. So glad it's feeling better. I hope all of your friends stop by to listen to your wonderful interview and check out your slide share as well.They'll learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all of your support and encouragement, Deanie!

      Delete
  4. Good thing you caught that, but at least he tried and now he'll never do that again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he's a little more careful when he puts on Band-Aids!

      Delete
  5. How ironic. My mom was always the one who put bandaids on too tight for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe your mom and my son went to the same Band-Aid application school. ;0)

      Delete
  6. Mam I will definitely join your face book group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Norbu. If you have anything to say regarding hunger, please do!

      Delete
  7. An all round hero. Well done not only on saving your sons finger but also raising the heartbreaking issue of the hunger problem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saving the world from hunger, one finger at a time -- or something like that. I'll check out the group. Obviously a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks, Milo. Thanks for spreading the word on Twitter, too.

      Delete
  9. I didn't even know that was possible! Most times I've put on a bandaid they were so flimsy they just fell off a few hours later.

    And consider me the newest member of your group!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that he didn't connect why his finger was cold to the band aid. Boys are funny.

    ReplyDelete