Mama Diaries

Monday, July 4, 2016

Question of the Month and Stretchy Socks



It's time once again for the Question of the Month hosted by Michael D'Agostino. This month's question is:  What was the first book/series that you fell in love with?


The first book was James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. My teacher read it to our class in the second grade just before lunch. She read a chapter a day. I couldn't wait for the next day so I could hear another chapter! As far as a series goes, I really liked the Nancy Drew series. I think I have every book in the series. (That's a lot of books!)


Do you have a favorite first book/series?


Now for the story.


"Mom," my twelve-year-old son said as he came down the stairs. "I can still fit into my baby socks!"


I couldn't believe it. "Are you sure about that?"


He pointed at his feet. "These are the ones I wore when I was two years old."


I looked down at them and squinted. "Are you sure?" They looked vaguely familiar, but I wasn't sure they were actually his baby socks.


"Yeah." He took them off and showed me. They looked slightly misshapen. Like they'd been stretched about five times their original size.  "I've been working at it, and I can fit into them, again!"


Apparently those were his favorite socks. Guess they'll be around a few more years.


To all of my American friends, I'd like to wish you a happy Fourth of July!

21 comments:

  1. Wow, most of my socks don't survive a year or more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I never got into Roald Dahl. As a younger boy I thought his books looked boring and I haven't yet made any attempt to correct it. I need to give him a go sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 4th of July to you and your family... my first favorite series was Nancy Drew... I owned many of those books xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why he would want to get into those socks again... But boys...

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha just to prove he could do it. James and the Giant peach is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Sherry!

    When I was a boy I was crazy about astronomy. Two books I read at an early age that captured my imagination were written by astronomers - George Gamow's The Creation of the Universe and Fred Hoyle's Frontiers of Astronomy.

    I can't believe Bubba was able to stretch his baby socks to get into them at age 12. He's still growing and this can't go on forever. I would like to borrow a pun from "The Trial of the Century" and remind Bubba:

    "If it doesn't fit... you must quit." :)

    Enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I worked on a play version of James and the Giant Peach. You have no idea how hard that Peach is to make and maintain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When my husband was alive and the two boys still at home the socks always seem to be one missing to each pair,,,,,,never did find them.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those must have been some sturdy socks! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite series was of "Ramona Quimby" by Beverly Cleary. I started reading them with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bubba sure thinks outside the box. He makes me smile. Nancy Drew books were my favorite too. Hope your 4th of July was great, Sherry. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first book series I can remember liking a lot was The Chronicles Of Narnia. The books belonged to my grandpa. He thought I would like them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, Bubba was certainly determined when it comes to those socks! Surprised they didn't fall apart in his attempt to fit in 'em again...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whilst there were certain Roald Dahl books I loved, I have to say my heart belonged to The Folks Of The Faraway Tree books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What's that old saying? Make it do or do without? I think your son would be a good candidate for that mentality. =)

    I had so many book loves when I was young, but it was My Friend the Monster that really set me off. It's out of print and really old, but the story blew my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hope he does not wear them to school

    ReplyDelete
  17. My primary school teacher read The Lion, The Witch and the Warddrobe, amongst others. I loved it and like you, I adored storytime. They don't seem to do that anymore in UK schools (well not spend a whole lesson on storytime anyway), which is a real shame. This time is invaluable for children, I think. Great post and I've also got a fettish for socks :) Bless him.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy 4th of July to you and your family. I started with Enid Blyton's The Famous Five & The Secret Seven :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read all Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys series and loved them. I also loved the Black Stallion when I was young too. I think you should buy your son new socks and the weirdly stretched-out 10-yr-old ones should be "accidentally" lost...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love everything here! Happy weekend, dear! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now that's what I can re-using! Very clever of that boy.

    ReplyDelete