Mama Diaries

Friday, July 8, 2016

The Wrong Side of the Mountain

I've been doing a lot of exploring with my kids, which is why I haven't been sitting in front of my computer blogging. Yesterday's adventure involved a mountain.


I took my kids and one of their friends to Yonah Mountain in Georgia. It was supposed to be a lovely two and a half mile hike to the summit. Well, it ended up being a little bit longer for us. After climbing about an hour and a half, we reached the half-way point. We thought it was the top because the view was so pretty. But it wasn't. Other intrepid climbers informed us that the summit was at least a half hour hike further up.


We gathered our things and continued upward, over some pretty rough terrain. This wasn't your average dirt trail. We're talking climbing over very large boulders and fallen trees. About fifteen minutes later, we met some other hikers coming down.


"How much further to the summit?" I asked.


"About twenty minutes," they replied. "There will be a fork in the road. Go left. It's a wider trail and easier. Then you'll come to a clearing. Take the trail on the left, rather than the one on the right."


Okay.


We found the fork and went left. A little while later, we noticed the trail was heading down, and not up.


"Something is wrong," I said.


"Maybe it'll go down and then back up," my daughter's friend said.


It didn't. It went down, down, down. Until we came to a sign. "Road Closed." We looked at each other.


"Check the GPS and see where we are in relation to the parking lot," I said.


We were eleven miles away on the other side of the mountain. Not good.


"Okay, everybody. We're climbing back up!"


And that's what we did. We climbed that stinking mountain twice. What should have been about a two and a half hour hike ended up being over five hours.


My daughter and I decided to find the summit, which we did. I'm glad we did, because the view was beautiful. But the moral of the story is, if you're climbing to the top of a mountain, always follow the path that goes up. And bring a map.


Here's the view from the top:



       

30 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Yes, bring a map. And stick to the trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We stuck to the trails - just not the right trails. ;)

      Delete
  2. Eleven miles from your vehicle? That was depressing. At least you got back to your car and saw the the view from the top. All in this heat and humidity...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were really sweaty when we reached the summit!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Sherry!

    What an ordeal! I'm relieved that your story had a happy ending and that you guys didn't get lost and have to spend the night in the wilderness. Mrs. Shady does not know her left from her right and it seems the hiker who gave you directions didn't either. I admire you for persisting until you finally got to the top. What a great view!

    Have a safe and happy weekend, dear friend Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After the trials and tribulations you made the top and what an awesome view. Well done to all of you.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. an hour and a half of climbing? Oh, my, I wouldn't last first ten minutes, methinks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to be in decent shape to climb a mountain!

      Delete
  6. haha yeah, always go up is a good way to be. Great view though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They must not have had the trails very clearly marked. You really got your steps in for the day, though--whew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. The signs were worn. The paint was almost off of them, and we couldn't read them. The best we could do was follow the green ribbons attached to trees. But oddly the green ribbons were missing at the forks.

      Delete
  8. The view is beautiful but whoa to the hike being over 5 hours... that's a great deal ... I can totally understand taking time off blogging to do some fun things. We all need that... great adventure xox ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was much longer than anticipated! After all that, we decided banana splits were in order! :)

      Delete
  9. Oh, boy. At least that view was worth it? It definitely was beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW...that view is Definitely worth the 5 hour hike ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is hilarious! And terrible a little bit. But mostly hilarious! We hike every few weekends and we're more or less novices. I fear this more than you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to hike. The kids and I are going to tackle another mountain tomorrow.

      Delete
  12. Oh yes. Those maps are handy, aren't they? You earned your dessert that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I didn't feel one bit of guilt after I ate the banana split! ;)

      Delete
  13. What a view, definitely worth the hike. Your story pu ts me in mind of the time my family lost a mountain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you take a wrong path, it's easy to get lost!

      Delete
  14. Beautiful!! Well worth the effort. Well done for making it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad we made it to the summit, too. I would have been upset to go through all that effort and not make it!

      Delete
  15. Oh-no! At least you made it to the top to enjoy the view. What a long walk. Hope nobody got blisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fine, but my daughter's friend fell and scraped up her knee on the way down.

      Delete
  16. I'm glad you stuck with it and made it to the top! I hope you had enough water and sunscreen!

    ReplyDelete