Mama Diaries

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Organic Dirt



Before I begin, I want to take a moment to help spread the word about my author friend, C. Lee McKenzie's new book, Some Very Messy Medieval Magic. She lost her husband two days after the book was released, and hasn't been able to market it. So, I'm giving her a hand. I would have included a review, but I'm still in the middle of reading it. I can tell you that I'm enjoying it and that it's well-written! I'm sure she'd appreciate a few sales!

Here's the scoop on the book:



SOME VERY MESSY MEDIEVAL MAGIC


By C. Lee McKenzie

Pete’s stuck in medieval England!

Pete and his friend Weasel thought they’d closed the Time Lock. But a young page from medieval times, Peter of Bramwell, goes missing. His absence during a critical moment will forever alter history unless he’s found.

There’s only one solution - fledgling wizard Pete must take the page’s place. Accompanied by Weasel and Fanon, Pete’s alligator familiar, they travel to 1173 England.

But what if the page remains lost - will Pete know what to do when the critical moment arrives? Toss in a grumpy Fanon, the duke’s curious niece, a talking horse, and the Circle of Stones and Pete realizes he’s in over his young wizard head yet again...

Release date – May 15, 2018
Juvenile Fiction - Fantasy & Magic/Boys & Men
$13.95 Print ISBN 9781939844460
$3.99 EBook ISBN 9781939844477

C. Lee McKenzie has a background in Linguistics and Inter-Cultural Communication, but these days her greatest passion is writing for young readers. When she’s not writing she’s hiking or traveling or practicing yoga or asking a lot questions about things she still doesn’t understand. http://cleemckenziebooks.com

Links:
Barnes & Noble
KoKobo
iTunes
Amazon
Kindle
Foyles
Goodreads




Now for the story:


The other day, I was doing some gardening. I bought a bag of "organic" soil. As I poured it in the container, some spilled out. My nosy German Shepherd, Schultz, had to see what was going on. He sniffed the dirt and decided it smelled so good, he had to eat it.


"Schultz!" I hollered. "Cut it out!" I wasn't sure if eating dirt would make him sick, but I didn't want to risk it.


He trotted off and I cleaned up the dirt before he could eat more.


A little while later, the dog was standing next to the container where I had planted the flowers in the organic soil. Do you know what he was doing? Eating the dirt!


I had never seen him eat dirt, so there must've been something extra special about organic soil. Makes me wonder what's in it!


26 comments:

  1. Good heavens, Sherry!

    I saw Cheryl-Lee's post Monday but had no idea death hit that close to home. I feel terrible about her loss. You are a great friend for stepping up to promote her new book during this period of mourning.

    I never heard of a dog eating dirt. My Toto used to eat grass and lizard tails and other dogs' poop, but she drew the line at dirt. :)

    Thank you for informing those of us not registered on other social media about what happened with our mutual friend Cheryl McKenzie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's very sad about Lee's husband. We'll try to do everything we can to help her through this difficult time.

      Delete
  2. Happy to share this post on my FaceBook page. You are such a good friend bringing this to our attention.

    I too wonder what might be in this that makes it sooo good to eat ... at least that is as far as Schultz is concerned. I'm not that eager to know that I'd give it a try myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracy! I'm sure Lee will appreciate it.

      I certainly didn't want to try eating that dirt!

      Delete
  3. So very sad what happened to Lee. That's nice of you to share for her.
    Organic might mean there is food stuff in it. Maybe that's what he is after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It smelled a little different than regular dirt. Maybe there was something else in it.

      Delete
  4. I've been spreading the word on her book as well. Lee is the best and I wish her only the best in this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice of you, Mark. This must be a horrible time for her. She can use all the support we can give.

      Delete
  5. I thought organic meant no pesticides. Apparently, there are some nutrients that Shultz wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe pesticide-free dirt tastes good. Who knows?

      Delete
  6. Sounds like your dog's got a dirty mouth. ;)

    I heard about Lee and her husband. My condolences to her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so very sorry Lee has lost her husband, having gone through the same experience some twenty years I can so relate to what she must be going through:

    I enjoyed your story your dog Sherry is priceless.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very difficult time for Lee. We'll do our best to help her through it.

      Delete
  8. Some Very Messy Medieval Magic certainly sounds good.

    As for that organic dirt...maybe there's poo in it...dogs certainly seem fond of eating that. :)

    Have a wonderful week. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. My dog definitely has a fascination for poo. Maybe that's it.

      Delete
  9. I saw about Lee on Fb, and I'm so sorry for her. Its shocking. Wishing all the best for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I think she has a lot of friends to help her through this, but it certainly isn't easy!

      Delete
  10. Great of you to help Lee indeed.

    Could be some tasty manure in that dirt haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'm sure Schultz would think cow poo is a delicacy.

      Delete
  11. I am so sorry for C. Lee's passing of her husband! Wishing her all the best on the book!
    The story about the dirt made me laugh! LOL! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, gosh, poor C. Lee! I had heard about her loss, but not that it was her husband. :(

    And oh dear, looks like Schultz has a new addiction! Dogs have such weird cravings sometimes. (I once had a dog who'd try to gobble up crayons!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me wonder what kind of nutrients he thinks he's missing.

      Delete