Mama Diaries

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Birdy's Big Escape

Our senile old parakeet decided to bust out of her cage.  It happened while I was changing her paper towels that line the bottom of her abode.  When the tray is removed, there's a small space where she can sneak out.  She saw her big opportunity when I left the room.

When I returned, the little green and yellow feather ball was missing.  I looked around.  "Sunshine!" I called.

I didn't hear Sunshine, but I heard the panting of Schultz, our giant German Shepherd, behind the couch. 

Uh oh.

Sure enough, the beast was towering over the tiny bird, who was crouched down on the floor.  Drool dripped out of his jowls onto her feathers.  She did not look happy.

"Schultz, get out of here!" I said.

Schultz didn't listen.  He stuck his big nose against the bird and gave her a good sniff.

Exasperated, I grabbed the dog by his collar and led him to his crate.

Then I returned to Sunshine and put my finger out for her to climb aboard.  The dumb bird just wanted to peck it. "Sunshine, get with the program!" I said.

She didn't understand a word I said, so I just picked her up and plopped her back on her perch.

She gave me a little chirp, fluffed her feathers, and promptly went to sleep.

I guess the excitement was a little too much for her to handle!

26 comments:

  1. Silly Sunshine! Glad to hear you were able to get Schultz away from her in time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried he might try to make her a snack!

      Delete
  2. I remember my cat using the bird cage as a scratching post one day. It scared my parakeets. I don't have birds anymore, but I'd have to be careful separating them from the other animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could just imagine how scary that was for your birds!

      Delete
  3. Maybe Schultz just wanted to 'groom' Sunshine - or maybe he wanted to tenderise her. She must be a tough old bird not to have died of shock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She probably thought she was just having a bad dream!

      Delete
  4. Whew! I'm glad that ended well. :)

    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I don't think Schultz would've eaten her, but you never know!

      Delete
  5. Close call! I wonder what was going through the minds of both of them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunshine probably thought it would be nice to have an umbrella, and Schultz probably thought it would be nice if Sunshine didn't have feathers! ;)

      Delete
  6. Would have loved to have a camera in that situation.
    Great post Sherry.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would've been quite a picture - especially if it had the drool coming off of Schultz's jowls!

      Delete
  7. Good thing Schultz didn't think she was a moth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good thing Shultz recognized that she's family or she could have been lunch! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute name for a parakeet and it must have been such an adrenaline rush for Sunshine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough, she didn't seem too fazed by the whole thing - probably because she's senile. :0)

      Delete
  10. Oh, my! For a while there I had my heart in my mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A new character! Seriously, you need to package all of these tales into a book someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should. Trouble is, I don't even know where to begin!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. If she would've had nutritional content labeled on her back, she probably would've been a McSunshine!

      Delete
  13. If it had been Harper, he would have killed her. Good job, Schultz. You checked her out without damaging her.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll give him an extra treat for being such a good boy.

      Delete