Mama Diaries

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Rocket Balloon

"Guess what we did in school, today?" my eleven-year-old son asked.

"What?" I replied.

"We made a rocket balloon!"

That sounded interesting. "How did you do that?"

"We took 1000 centimeters of kite string and attached it to the top of the flagpole. Then we staked the other end on the ground, so it went up at an angle."

I didn't want to know how they got the string to the top of the flagpole. Hopefully they raised it like they would raise a flag, and nobody had to endanger their lives actually climbing to the top of it.

"Then what?" I asked.

"Then we attached a balloon to a straw and attached that to the string. And guess what?"

"What?"

"I got to blow up the balloon."

That didn't surprise me. He has the most hot air, I'm sure!

He continued. "You should have seen that thing rocket to the top! It was awesome!"

I'm sure it was. In case you'd like to see one of these balloon rockets in action, you can watch the video. (I'm sure my son's version was even way more exciting than this!)

  

29 comments:

  1. Hopefully no flag pole climbing was had lol never knew balloons moved so err umm fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, dear Sherry!

    Who knew a rocket balloon is a thing? :) I think Bubba just discovered a cheaper form of space travel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such fun... as long as no balloons were hurt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No balloons or flagpoles were hurt in the process.

      Delete
  4. This was pretty cool... I am glad to hear he enjoyed it xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of that. At least it wasn't cold and someone stuck their tongue to the flagpole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of it. Too cold here right now, for sure. Cool that he got to be the one to blow up the balloon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A rocket balloon? Sounds like a fun school activity, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The teachers come up with some pretty fun projects.

      Delete
  8. No one climbed the flagpole. Liability issues.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really familiar like I may have done it before, but my schools never did anything exciting so I know it can't possibly have happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Maybe it was the one and only time they did something interesting and exciting!

      Delete
  10. I really feel I missed out at school. We never seemed to do anything this exciting like this though Mr T assures me he did. Oh well, away to find a balloon. Thanks for the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have so much fun in school, either. Teachers make it more exciting these days.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Definitely nice for the kids to get out of their chairs and go outside!

      Delete
  12. Sounds fun! Glad he had a fun time doing this all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you included the video so we could see what it looked like. There is probably some science behind this activity. Thanks for visiting my WEP Christmas tale!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard of a Rocket Balloon before.Interesting read.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of it either, before this.

      Delete
    2. Still can't comment on your blog, Yvonne, even though I am a member. I hope you get your Christmas wish. Merry Christmas!

      Delete