Mama Diaries

Monday, December 4, 2017

You-know-who Knows You-know-what

If you've been visiting this pad for a while, you know that our German Shepherd, Schultz, is a rather intelligent animal. (For the most part.) We have recently discovered that he is smarter than we thought.

The hundred-pound beast loves playing "flashlight" every night. "Flashlight" is the game where we take him outside when it's dark, and he chases a beam of light around the yard. It's his favorite thing to do. If you even mention the word, "flashlight," he goes crazy.

Playing "flashlight" is definitely more fun for the dog than it is for us humans. Sometimes nobody wants to take him out. Especially when it's cold. So, if the question is asked, "Who wants to take Schultz out to do 'flashlight?'" and nobody wants to, doggy gets upset, because he's heard the word, "flashlight" and nobody is taking him out to do it.

We thought we had gotten around this by asking, "Who wants to do 'you-know-what?'" It worked for a while, but then Schultz figured out that "you-know-what" means "flashlight." So now he gets upset if he doesn't get "you-know-what" or "flashlight."

I guess we're going to have to start spelling the words.   

32 comments:

  1. He'll learn how to spell. That's my prediction.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart dog. You could call it playing beams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, as a dog owner myself, this doesn't surprise me at all. I have a feeling Schultz would catch on to the spelling eventually, too... XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha eventually they catch on to any replacement words if you use them enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs are pretty smart. Not sure that my cat would ever figure it out, though.

      Delete
  5. Clever dog you have there Sherry.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that he'll just learn to spell. At some point he's going to figure out all your substitute keywords. So, you need to call it something else. "Who's going to do the laundry?" or something ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could get Schultz to do the laundry, that would be awesome!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a smart dog. I may trying to play this with my dog--next spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your dog likes to chase things, he'll think its a great game.

      Delete
  8. Dogs are great and they understand a lot more than we think. Even Mia, our new dog, is already understanding us. I like the idea of "flashlight). I remember playing such a game with my cat, using the reflections off my watch to have her dance on the wall trying to "catch" the reflection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cat could care less about lights and reflections. Schultz goes crazy over both!

      Delete
  9. Dang that's a smart dog. My kids keep begging for a dog, but my wife says she doesn't want any more un-potty trained creatures in the house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. why not tie a flashlight on Bootsy's head and lead them frolic together in the yard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bootsy wouldn't go for it! He'd be a very angry kitty if anything was tied to his head.

      Delete
  11. I hate to tell you this ... but my dog can spell. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HA! Spelling may not work, either. Our animals all learned how to spell v-e-t, and they reacted accordingly whenever I tried to fool them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not a good word to know. You'll have to think of a new name for the vet. ;)

      Delete
  13. I agree that he'll learn how to spell--LOL! Yes, the flashlight game does sound like dog Disneyland. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's loved Flashlight since he was a young dog. It's ridiculous how excited he gets about it.

      Delete
  14. LOL! Smart puppy! I'll take him out! So cute! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw! He is a smart dog. Maybe he knows what you're asking when you say "Who wants to." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Smart pooch! What if you changed it to something he might hate like 'bath'? I bet he won't get excited for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loves baths, too. He's an excitable canine. Not sure what he doesn't like.

      Delete