Mama Diaries

Thursday, February 22, 2018

The Mad Scientist

When I wake up in the morning, I don't think about plutonium or nuclear reactors. I don't think about the inner workings of a battery, either. I wake up and think about making breakfast for my kids, and hope I can do it without spilling an entire jug of milk on the floor. 

My son, Bubba, on the other hand does think about plutonium, and radon, and nuclear fusion. In fact, he draws complicated diagrams of batteries and explains them to me, as I sit there in a complete state of grogginess.

Here was the latest diagram: 


This is a battery. Some kind of special one with a lead case so the radioactive material inside doesn't create a problem for its handler. The diagram on the left is something about how to make two parts come together to begin the reaction once the casing is secure. Do you understand? Me neither.  I thought he was probably coming up with this from the top of his head. Maybe it was some residual delirium from his recent bout with the flu.

But my husband took a look at it.  It is actually a viable concept for a real plutonium battery. (My husband is a mechanical genius, so he would know if Bubba was full of it.)

I don't know if my Mad Scientist son is going to get the parts and assemble this in our basement. But what I can tell you, is that if you see a mushroom cloud over Atlanta, Georgia, the epicenter will be at my house!   

20 comments:

  1. Alas, I believe plutonium is controlled, so I doubt he could get his hands on any. But perhaps he should patent the idea. If there's merit, he probably should patent it quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His science teacher said it was good, too, but she also suggested a few tweaks to make it better.

      Delete
  2. Somehow I don't feel safe with him thinking about nuclear stuff.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like he's a real smarty. A little Einsten in the making... and that's a good thing! (Um, I could do without the mushroom cloud, though...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think too many people would be thrilled with a mushroom cloud!

      Delete
  4. That's pretty awesome that he's interested in creating such things. Don't tell him about antimatter and the energy it gives off when it collides with matter. Next he'll want to build a particle accelerator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you hit 88 mph, let us know how it goes. What? Not gonna let him put it in the car?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That kid has promise! You are raising a boy with potential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be so interesting to see if any of his big ideas turn into something real.

      Delete
  7. Wow, he is a genius! Well done with raising him right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I can take credit for that. He's walking to the beat of his own drum (unless all the trips to the science museum when he was little rubbed off).

      Delete
  8. He is a smart cookie! Please, no mushroom cloud!
    Big Hugs Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Impressive that he is able to diagram something viable- though I hope there will be no mushroom cloud!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I worry. His big ideas are concocted with hazardous materials!

      Delete