Mama Diaries

Monday, July 9, 2018

The Best Time to Set Up a Zipline

Teenagers do the strangest things.

So, the other night, my boy was out with his buddies in the woods. You might wonder what he was doing, because most teenage boys who are out in the woods at 10:00 PM are usually up to no good.

My boy was setting up a zipline–across Johns Creek. We're not talking a tiny rivulet of water. We're talking a significant body of water. When it's rainy season, the water comes up over eight feet high. People have drowned in Johns Creek. (For those who like geography, Johns Creek is a tributary of the Chattahoochee River.)

So, my boy and his friends decided it would be a good idea to string this zipline they had bought at a garage sale for $5.00 (manufacture date: 1972) across the creek in the dark. There are three ways to cross the creek:  Over the bridge (recommended way), through the water (not comfortable, and not recommended during rainy season) or over a very large tree which conveniently fell and formed a bridge to the other side. The boys opted for the latter. I have crossed this log a few times, and let me tell you, you need a really good sense of balance to do it. I can't even imagine crossing this thing in the dark. But somehow the boys did it, zipline in tow.

They secured the zipline so that it went from a tree on one side of the bank to a tree on the other side. After they were done, they tested it. It worked. They had a grand time flying over Johns Creek in the dark.

The next day, I inspected their work. It seemed secure, but there was no way I was ever going to test it. My boy had no trouble, though. I watched as he zipped over the creek.

"Dude," I said. "Why couldn't you do this during daylight hours? Why did you do it in the dark?"

"Because we're adrenaline junkies. It's more of a rush to do it when you can't see what you're doing."

Uh. Okay. I guess they're right about teenagers' brains not being fully developed!

28 comments:

  1. Had you known what they were doing at the time... Glad it's at least safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, their brains aren't fully developed, but stringing a zip line after dark was a useful and creative challenge for them. And they did it! Sounds like fun... and a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stringing a zip line across a creek at night is something only people with underdeveloped brains would do. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi, Sherry!

    Boy oh boy oh boy, your boy is some boy! :) I think he takes after his mama because you are quite a daredevil, as I recall.

    A zipline with manufacture date of 1972? What a coincidence! 1972 is the expiration date on the open jar of mayonnaise I found pushed to the rear of my refrigerator. I spread some on my BLT at lunch today and let me tell ya, that was some good eatin'!

    I suspect that Bubba and his crew already have another challenge in the works: to hitch a ride on the back of the great white Meg! :)

    Enjoy your week, dear friend Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mayonnaise story cracked me up! Hope it didn't kill you!

      I can picture Bubba harnessing Meg and riding her around the great blue sea. :)

      Delete
  4. I don't like the smell of it, I don't like it at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always been too cautious for my own good, so ziplining in the dark--or any time of day, really--sounds terrifying to me. Glad they were all safe after doing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zip lining is fun. I've done it. But there's no way I'd do it on a line put up by two teenagers in the middle of the night!

      Delete
  6. Darkness would never have stopped me, either, when I was young--LOL! Sounds like they did a great job of it, even in the dark. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing I like to do in the dark is sleep!

      Delete
  7. At least they got it secured and up. Doing it in the dark just sounds like it would be annoying haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you say manufacture date: 1972? That must've been one heck of a year. Well, one thing's for sure: they don't need to grow a pair. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad it worked, but I would have freaked out. And I'm not nearly as brave as your son. No way would I do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do crazy things like jump out of airplanes, but even I wouldn't go on that zip line!

      Delete
  10. Considering what they could have been doing, this is promising. But, yeah. There's this sense of no consequences at that age. At least they had sense enough to make sure it was set up right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have quite a son there Sherry,

    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, he is such a adrenaline junkie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reminds me of growing up:) It's a wonder any of my friends and I made it to 20:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. There's a lot of people wandering around that make me scratch my head. How did they ever survive? :)

      Delete
  14. I'm happy it's safe! This is scary to me! LOL! I would be a wearing a life jacket, as I was zip lining! LOL! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'd wear the life jacket if the creek was up high. But fortunately, it wasn't.

      Delete