Mama Diaries

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

The Band Played On and IWSG Post

My boy, Bubba, is in high school now. That means he attends high school football games. If you've ever been to one of those, you know there's usually a band that plays. The game Bubba attended last Friday was no exception. The band played a special tune every time their team made a first down. Usually, that doesn't happen all that much. But on this particular game, the team was making a first down every three minutes. Not a bad problem to have. The musicians, however, soon grew tired of playing the same tune over and over and over. 

One musician, a saxophone player, decided he'd had enough. He walked over to my boy who was standing near the sidelines and handed him his instrument. Now, Bubba isn't exactly a musician, but he does know one tune on the saxophone. So, while the rest of the band was playing the proper first-down tune, my boy stood there playing the only one he knew.

It was the funniest sight to see. Nobody seemed to mind the rogue saxophone player. In fact, I'm sure they found it quite entertaining. Leave it to my boy to do his own thing while the band played on!

Now for the IWSG question of the month:


If I could pick one place in the world to sit and write my story, where would it be, and why?

Hmmm. I think I'd mentioned at one time that I usually get a lot of writing done on a hotel balcony overlooking a beach. Now, the question is, which beach would I want to overlook? I have never been to the Greek island of Santorini. From the pictures, it looks really pretty–whitewashed buildings overlooking an azure blue bay. Maybe that would be a good place. Has anyone ever been there?
Where would you go to write your story?

Lastly, for those who would like to know how Schultz is, he's getting around just fine. In fact, he chased a deer across our yard the other day. Having three legs doesn't seem to bother him. The trouble is, he's gotten very skinny from not eating much. He weighed 112 pounds. Now he's down to 85. And he doesn't have a ton of energy. I guess that's to be expected from chemo treatments.

43 comments:

  1. I bet Bubba was good entertainment.
    Good to hear Schultz is back to chasing deer. Once the chemo stops, he should regain that weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! It's so sad to see him so thin and lethargic.

      Delete
  2. Your post and your Bubba gave a perfect visual to the saying "marching to his own tune" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly what I was thinking Mirka.

    Oh Venice. for me it would have to be a balcony overlooking a bridge crossing the canal, a gondola passing underneath.

    Glad to hear Schultz is doing better. Hopefully he'll regain some of that lost weight and if not ... well, as long as he's doing fine, is getting around and is eating even if its not a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schultz has adapted to having three legs. I'm really glad of that.

      Delete
  4. Nice to hear the dog can run even without the fourth leg! Poor deer, though....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading about your son took me back many years you see the son who I lost last year played soccer at school then went on to be a pro after school. Good luck to Bubba, Pleased to know your dog is progressing.
    Have a great September.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. Hope you have a great September, too!

      Delete
  6. Hi, Sherry!

    I'm elated to learn that, overall, things are going well for you and your family. However it makes me sad to learn that Schultz is still undergoing chemo and that it is curbing his appetite and he's lost weight; but it's a good sign if he has the spunk to chase a deer across the yard.

    I think I might enjoy writing a book or a story on a Hawaiian beach. I've never been to the islands. I can't believe young Bubba is in high school this year. He is distinguishing himself already by "marching to his own drum," so to speak, and playing his own sax tune at a public sporting event. Good for him!

    Please take good care of yourself, dear friend Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we'd first decided to have Schultz's leg amputated, I was concerned that he wouldn't be able to do some of his favorite things - like chase deer. I'm happy he still can.

      Have a good week!

      Delete
  7. Bubba must've been the hero of the day! The story is so funny. Glad to hear Schultz has adjusted well. Always keeping all of you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bubba sure knows how to have fun. Great that Schultz is doing well with three legs, hopefully he starts eating more when the chemo is done. Over looking a beach doesn't sound bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaches are the best. I love the sound of the ocean. Very soothing!

      Delete
  9. A balcony at a hotel is certainly a different choice of place to write even if it overlooks a beach. Glad Schultz is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like balconies. When you're at a loss for words, you can just look out, and somehow the words arrive. :)

      Delete
  10. Poor Schultz. I suppose he'll get back to his old weight once things settle for him.

    Do I know about bands at high school football games? I had to go to every home game my entire high school career due to being in the marching band. We got 3rd quarter off. That's about the only thing I know about football. (We never watched the game.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny! I didn't know marching bands got the third quarter off. Makes sense, though, because that's an awful lot of playing!

      Delete
  11. Bubba in high school: it's hard to believe, isn't it? I hope Schultz puts on some weight.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those High School days flew by for my kids. I'd like a do-over. I love those football games and have been living vicariously now through my nephews. Can we slow down time?
    I love my dogs and cats, and I've been thinking a lot about Schultz. Have lasting memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter is getting ready for college now. That's hard to believe!

      Delete
  13. Sounds like Bubba was the perfect change of entertainment. I'm so glad to hear Schultz is on the mend and hopefully he gain some of his weight back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just got back from a Greek islands trip in June. Fabulous beaches, and that Aegean can't be beat for a daily swim. I'd say you chose a great spot to write.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never been there, but it sounds lovely!
    I love that your son is comfortable playing his own tune.
    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee says Greece is great, so I'll have to go just to make sure. :)

      Delete
  16. But...what tune was he playing? I need to know to picture it clearly. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He told me, but for the life of me, I can't remember. It wasn't something I was familiar with.

      Delete
  17. Another great Bubba story (what tune did he play?).

    I want to go to the Faroe Islands (I have been there) and neat place where you are never more than 3kms from the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bubba told me the tune, but I can't remember the name.

      I've never been to the Faroe Islands. Can't say I even know where they are. I'll have to look on a map and find them. Then maybe go visit.

      Delete
  18. Good for Bubba! It's moments like that which make high school that much better. (Hopefully, he never looses his spunk).

    ReplyDelete
  19. great your boy can play saxophone, even one tune....

    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hooray for the rogue saxophone player! LOL. Sounds like an entertaining turn of events, for sure!

    And glad to hear Schultz is doing well, outside of the weight loss. Hope he's able to gain some pounds and energy back! <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your son is such a trooper! I bet it was pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He definitely marches to the beat of his own drum!

      Delete
  22. I liked your blog very much Digital Marketing By the next afternoon I'm kissing on the bit to bring it back. This is a great blogspot theme, where you can find the best themes and latest designs. very nice. But you know that this is the right time to start your business with Google Media Website Development

    ReplyDelete