Mama Diaries

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Doggy Play Date

There was lots of excitement at my place today.  I was doing research for my next book, when I heard a major raucous outside. It was the sound of dogs barking - and it sounded like an army of them.  I got up to see what the problem was.

I saw Schultz, our German Shepherd...and a big white Husky.  It was the cat-killing dog from next door. (If you weren't around for that post, the Husky had snuck into my yard and killed a hapless cat that had wandered in.)

Schultz looked like he was playing a little rough with the Husky, so I figured I needed to step in immediately, if not sooner.  I put on my jacket and went outside.

The Husky galloped over to me, and Schultz went ballistic.  It was full guard dog mode!  The hair  on his back stood up and he barred his teeth at the white mutt.  Uh oh, I thought. 

"Schultz, in the house!" I called, and quickly led him inside.

Fortunately, he listened and didn't fillet the Husky! (The Husky is a large 70 pound animal, but Schultz is even bigger at 100 pounds.  I don't think it would've gone well for either dog!)

After Schultz was safely put away and calmed down, I called my neighbor.  No answer.  I figured I'd try to leash the Husky and get him back in his own yard.  I went outside to deal with the white mutt.  He ran up to me, but took off when he saw the leash.  I knew I'd have to outsmart him.  I walked over to the fence where he had pushed through the wire and gotten in.  I bent it back, pretending to ignore him.  Of course he was curious, so he came over.  Then I leashed him.  (See, now I can tell my daughter that I'm smarter than a dog!)

I took him over to his yard and tried to open the gate.  It was locked, and there was no way I was going to get in.  I walked up to the door and rang the doorbell.  The cleaning lady answered.

"Hi," I said.  "I had  a little visitor!"

Boy, was she surprised!

Now I have to go fix a fence.  Wish me luck, because I don't want anymore doggy playdates like that!



       

25 comments:

  1. Not a playdate I would want either, those husky's are mean, darn pray drive, to cats. Maybe Schultz just didn't want to share his poo pile? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say Huskies are the most psychotic dogs ever. This one is no exception!

      Delete
  2. Good thing you sent Schultz into the house. He probaby could have gotten that Husky to come to the leash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no patience for people who don't keep tabs on their pets, and who may not even attempt to train them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These people are very good neighbors, so I think the problem was just that the Husky really wanted to come over and see Schultz, so he found a way under the fence.

      Delete
  4. All the best with your fence fixing!

    Nas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a make-shift job, but I think we're going to need new wire. I'll let my husband deal with it when he comes home. :)

      Delete
  5. Clearly he missed the no trespassing sign.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck fixing the fence! I have two very big mean dogs that live next to us. They're used to us in the backyard, but they wouldn't be quite as nice as that Husky if they got out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My smooth collie Harper is an escape artist. It's been a while since he got out of the back yard, but a few times when he's made what he seems to think is a prison break (the dog doesn't know how pampered he is) he's run around the neighborhood like a mad marauder. He brings shame on my dog family, and I try so hard to be a good dog mom. But it's just like raising my kids. I did my best. I read to them. We played games. I took them to church and Sunday School. Now they're both atheist criminal alcoholic sluts. And they're only 12 and 14.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have Schultz come over and whip them into shape! ;)

      Delete
  8. All things considered, isn't it a pleasure to know your dog will protect you? My dog would sell me for a piece of individually wrapped cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Schultz is a very loyal and protective animal!

      Delete
  9. You are a true jack of all trades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I bet you didn't know I could fix fences! ;)

      Delete
  10. Nice to know that Schultz will protect you when needed. Hope the fence repair job wasn't too time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schultz is a good dog. I think the fence is going to need a major repair job. I fixed it temporarily, so the dog shouldn't be able to get through. (I hope!)

      Delete
  11. Wow, good thing you stepped in in time. I'm scared of big dogs without their owners with them. Been bitten and injected so many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Large male dogs who are angry at each other are not good! Sorry to hear you've been bitten a lot. It happened to me once, and it sure didn't feel good!

      Delete
  12. I know dogs need to have play dates to be able to socialize and exercise, especially when we are to busy to do it with them regularly. But this is definitely not the kind of play date that I would want. Good thing both dogs were pretty easy to deal with once separated.

    ReplyDelete