Mama Diaries

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

How We Fall Asleep

Last night, I had a rather interesting conversation with my eleven-year-old daughter.  "Mom," said.  "Did you know that boys and girls fall asleep differently?"

That piqued my interest. "How so?"

"Boys just lay down and fall asleep.  Girls do all kinds of other things."

"Like what?" I asked.

"Well, first of all, when they hear a creak sound, they have to look under their bed to see if any monsters are under there."

I laughed.  "Okay, so what do you do if you find a monster?"

"Mom, monsters aren't real."

"Then why do you look?"

"It's just what girls do."

Interesting.

"Is there anything else girls do that you want to tell me about?" I asked. 

"Girls have to fix their hair, and make sure their stuffed animals are all in place.  And then they have to make sure their iPods are okay, and then if they hear another noise, they have to go to the window to make sure it's not a burglar."

"A burglar?" I asked.

"Yeah.  You never know when a burglar might show up.   And girls stay at the window for a half hour, just to  make sure it's not one of those."

"And then you fall asleep?" I asked.

"Yep - but only after I read a boring book.  Isn't that what you do, Mom?"

"Um, no.  I just lay down and fall asleep."

"Mom, you're weird!"

 

32 comments:

  1. Wow! At first I thought you were headed for a discussion of the birds and the bees.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's a little too young to have her mind wander in that direction!

      Delete
  2. I never knew that, but at least she's always on guard for burglars, giving schultz's a good sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, for the record this is how it works in our house. Husband falls asleep instantly. I have to read a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gotta be on the look out for burgulars (-:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kids are awesome! I look forward to your posts every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha. Are you really a boy, then? ;o) But yep, my hubby falls asleep instantly too. I never read at bedtime though--otherwise I'd be up way past when I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG....you mean I need to check that creak under my bed!!??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would. You never know what kind of monsters might be under there (or dust bunnies)!

      Delete
  8. She is very observant. That's a pretty good description of how I fall asleep, too~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think a lot of moms are weird. It's an honor badge of sorts, don't you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  10. *LOL* My husband just lies down and goes to sleep. I'm like your daughter. I've always wished I could just lie down and fall asleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently you have an overactive imagination that doesn't know when to shut off. But that makes you a good writer!

      Delete
  11. I fall asleep in seconds, and my wife, it takes her the better part of an hour. I don't even want to know all the things that are marching around her head before she goes to sleep. "Sleep" is all that's in my mind at bedtime. If there's a burglar, I suppose I'll I'll deal with that when he comes through the door . . . or I guess window ;)LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like you. I'm usually so tired by the end of the day, I just crash and don't think twice about it!

      Delete
  12. Haha, interesting conversation. I'm like you, I just lay down and sleep, in less than a minute I'm in the dream world. It's the husband who can't fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then he can keep an eye out for burglars and monsters! ;)

      Delete
  13. Sometimes I can fall asleep before my head hits the pillow. I don't waste any time when it comes to falling asleep. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not quite that fast, but it doesn't take me long to fall asleep, either.

      Delete