Mama Diaries

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Wishing Well

Yesterday in Cincinnati, it was a balmy 60 degrees.  (Sorry for all of you folks in the Northeast who got pounded by the snow!)  The neighborhood kids were outside - in my backyard - with picks and shovels.  

I  looked out my window and watched them dig a hole in the middle of my yard while Schultz supervised.  What the heck are those kids up to? I thought.

I had to find out.

"Excuse me," I said.  "What are you guys doing?"

"Digging a hole," one of the kids answered.

Well, that was pretty obvious.  "Okay," I said.  "Let me rephrase this.  Why are you digging a hole in the middle of my backyard?"

My daughter spoke up.  "We were going to make a lake, but we figured that would be too big."

Um, yeah.

She continued.  "So then we thought we'd make a creek, but the hill is kind of in the way."

Oh.

"We finally decided to make a wishing well so we could make some money for our fundraiser."

Well, that's just brilliant.  So, ladies and gentlemen, if you'd like to stop by my pad and throw some coins in the new wishing well in the middle of my yard, please feel free to do so.  I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated!



  

36 comments:

  1. Only if it has a bucket attached to a pulley and rope. And do you accept canadian coins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, there's a bucket and rope out there, but I'm not sure about the Canadian coins. I'll get back with you on that. ;)

      Delete
  2. How cool! Such great imaginations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they would've consulted with me before they dug up my yard, though! :)

      Delete
  3. Now that is the most novel fundraising idea I've ever heard~

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha that is a great idea. We dug a huge hole in the backyard and used it as a little pond, it worked well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get little frogs and turtles to come? LOL!

      Delete
  5. Well, at least there was logic and thought to it. And some money making possibilities. My son digs holes in the yard for animals to come live in. As if we needed any more wild animals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish it was that hot here, wonderful read,

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cold today - snowing, in fact. Crazy weather!

      Delete
  7. *LOL* That's actually quite clever. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These kids crack me up with some of the things they come up with!

      Delete
  8. Virtually tosses all loose coins in the house your way...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You could tell people that if they throw in big coins it increases the chances of thier wish coming true.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think they could improve on the idea by putting a piggy bank in the hole -- a piggy bank that would keep green money nice and dry.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brilliant, Janie! I'll pass along your good advice! :)

      Delete
  11. I love the ideas kids come up with! Thanks for commenting on my post today at Lynda Young's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. God I love kids. That is exactly something I'd have come up with as a little guy. Too cute!! And who knows, maybe you'll get rich on all the money in the wishing well! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know how the get rich part works. LOL!

      Delete
  13. To have the imagination of a kid... just for a few days... ah, wouldn't that be something? Maybe then I'd come up with some really innovative ideas for my writing...
    Kids are so imaginative!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe they'll strike oil.
    Or dig up a cable line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yeah, probably more like dig up a cable line!

      Delete
  15. what a wonderful idea! and so logical!
    i live in cinci area too. we had another nice day today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heh, sounds as if you have some industrious children there. Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How creative! Too bad I'm not based in Cincinnati.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's snowing now, so the warm weather was short lived!

      Delete
  18. I love how creative kids are. Just send them outside and let them dream!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, who could have thought of that? Brilliant, as always. :)

    ReplyDelete