Mama Diaries

Friday, May 9, 2014

Mama's Cake Pop Shop

I love school projects.  Especially ones where Mama has to do a lot of the work. Which is pretty much how all of them are.  Last night's great project was making cake pops for my daughter's Market Day, which was today.  I made the cake, crumbled it up, added frosting, and then rolled the mixture up into cute little golf-ball sized concoctions.  Then I put them in the refrigerator for four hours.  They were ready to go when I came back from my son's Krav class.

"Come on, girlfriend," I called to my daughter. "It's time to finish these cake pops."

She wandered down the stairs.  "What do I do?"

"How about read the directions and figure out how to melt the chocolate."

"Okay," she said, and went to work.  Two minutes later, she looked at the melted chocolate that she had pulled out of the microwave.  "Mom.  What's wrong with this?"

I looked at it. It was a sticky mess.  "I'd guess it was nuked a little long."

"Mom, I can't do this!" She complained. "Can you do it?"

I agreed to do one batch and show her how it was done, but she had to do the rest.  Which she did.

Then she had this brilliant idea to make them look like the French flag.  This wasn't easy, because almost half of the cake pops fell off the stick as they were dipped into the chocolate. She had to dip those things three times - in blue, white, and red chocolate.  To her credit, she did this herself.

Then it was time to package them.  "Mom," my daughter said, after trying to do it herself.  "I'm going to break these things.  Can you do it?"

So at 10:30 at night, I was painstakingly packaging cake pops.  When I was done, I asked my daughter how she planned to transport them to school.

"I don't know," she said.  "Do you have anything?"

I looked around and spied the cat litter box.  Fortunately, it wasn't in use.  So I cleaned it up and used it as a cake pop transporter.  My daughter was not exactly thrilled about transporting her cake pop project in a kitty liter box.  But hey, this is how I roll at Mama's Cake Pop Shop. Only the best!


30 comments:

  1. Kitty cake pops!
    I love helping my kids do their projects...late at night by my self!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By yourself avoids a lot of arguments!

      Very funny, Dezzy!

      Delete
  2. cakes in cat litter box? That would sell in millions.... or not :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sold them all, so they were apparently a hit!

      Delete
  3. haha oh wait can be done with a litterbox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, those came out looking great, kitty litter or not!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter said they tasted pretty good, too.

      Delete
  5. They look great. Moms always improvise (-:

    ReplyDelete
  6. One cannot beat a kitty litter box for its multiple uses.

    Those pops look great! I keep thinking I should try making those...Maybe Monday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! They're pretty easy. They just take a little time.

      Delete
  7. I read a book recently about a young girl who had to bake for a birthday party. She decided to attempt cake pops because they're "easy." She quickly found out they weren't so easy, after all! They look delicious, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're time consuming. And if they're not chilled long enough, they won't stay on the stick.

      Delete
  8. I love how they turned out AND the method to transport them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter did a good job decorating them. And the kitty litter box was perfect for transporting them.

      Delete
  9. Amazing how popular cake pops are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you got the short end of that stick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Actually, I think my daughter did the harder part of decorating them.

      Delete
  11. You have the patience of a saint. I was never as nice to my kids as you are to yours. I just taught them grammar and how to do their own fricking laundry.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I bet you made them very independent and responsible.

      Delete
  12. Those are some good looking cake pops. You are one awesome Mama. The cat litter box was a good solution.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea. What is they say about necessity is the 'mother' of invention? The cake pops look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I think my daughter did a great job with the decorating. I honestly didn't think she'd be able to get them to look like French flags.

      Delete
  14. Tasty treats. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look delicious! I think she was smart to go with the colors. Very eye catching.

    ReplyDelete