Mama Diaries

Monday, May 12, 2014

My Writing Process


I was tagged by Stephanie Faris.  Now that I have this badge with the glowing green light sabers, I have to explain my writing process.  So here goes.

What am I working on now?  Well, let's see.  All kinds of stuff, since I can never seem to manage one project at a time.  Too boring!  I'm still working on my Bubba and Squirt series for young readers.  For those of you who haven't heard about it, the concept is that the protagonists, Bubba and Squirt, travel through a vortex that goes through the Earth.  They arrive in different countries, have adventures, and learn about the language, culture and history of the country.  My agent is trying to find a publisher.  I'm working on the first draft of book seven in the series, and also revising book three.  I have a couple of picture books I'm working on, too.  A new one, Ten Zany Birds,  will be out later this year.  It's being illustrated right now.

How does my writing process work?    It rolls however it rolls.  Here's the normal process:  I have an idea that may be brilliant.  Or not.  I write it down and think about it for a few days.  If it sounds like a good idea after a few days, I start figuring out the plot.  I'm a plotter.  I can't randomly do the pantser thing.  (Not plot, for those unfamiliar with writer jargon.)  Every time I try to be random, I get sidetracked and don't finish the thing.  I come up with an outline, chapter by chapter, after doing a serious amount of research. (Obviously, this is for chapter books.)  I figure out the characters, their personalities, and obstacles that must be overcome.  Then I write.  I actually have a notebook, and I use an old-fashioned pencil.  It's crazy, but doing it this way, helps me see if the flow is good, and make multiple revisions before I enter it into the computer.  I work chapter by chapter until the manuscript is finished.  After that, I let it sit before I begin the revision process, which could mean rewriting it a hundred times until it's right.  I wish I could say I have a set writing time.  I don't.  Sometimes I write at night.  Sometimes I write at the dance studio or Krav studio while I wait for my children to finish with their classes.  Once in a while, I find time during the day.  It's all rather random.

Why do I write what I do?  Because I'm crazy, and I hear voices in my head.  What?  You don't believe me?  Seriously, though, I'm a kid at heart, and I just like children's books.  I like picture books, I like chapter books and I like middle grade readers.  I don't know if I'll ever write for adults.  It's too much fun thinking like a kid.


Here are a few others I'm tagging for the saber sword badge:  Christine Rains, Medeia Sharif and C. Lee McKenzie.  They're all great writers, and it would probably be fun to hear about their writing process.

Before I go, I'd like to let you  know that ePublishing eXperts put out a little blurb about my book, That Mama is a Grouch, on their blog.  It's going to be turned into an animated ebook.  I'll let you know when that happens.    

23 comments:

  1. I can't just write without a plot either. Ten Zany Birds? Funny title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be a cute book. I'm looking forward to seeing what the illustrator does with it.

      Delete
  2. I used to write longhand. I do miss that! I didn't notice the light saber thing in that little badge. That's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading your process Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always interesting to see how writers do things. We're all different.

      Delete
  4. "It rolls however it rolls" yup, I'm familiar with that process ;)

    Always love hearing about how other writers work. Thanks for sharing your process, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your replies! I hope you find a home for Bubba and Squirt soon. Thank you for the tag, but I must decline. Too busy with the end of the school year upon us and me hurrying to finish my revisions and querying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly understand! Good luck getting it all done!

      Delete
  6. Very cool to see your writing process! I'm very much a plotter, too. Children's books are definitely a lot of fun, so no wonder you like writing for that genre! Wishing you the best of luck with finding a publisher for your Bubba and Squirt series...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I keep waiting for some good news from the agent. It just takes so long!

      Delete
  7. I must plot. That's so cool about your animated ebook.

    I was tagged awhile back and already answered these questions. Thank you for thinking of me, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay. I either missed that post, or it went flying out of my brain like just about everything else. ;0)

      Delete
  8. I have a general idea about the plot, but I don't know it all that well, truth be told, until my characters tell me what's going on really.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good you have reliable characters. I guess I'm a control freak. I have to know their every move. ;0)

      Delete
  9. The Bubba and Squirt series sounds wonderful! What a great idea. And congratulations on having your book turned into an animated ebook! :) I think if I would ever write a book myself I would do it whenever I would get a chance, too, I probably wouldn't have a certain time during the day to write cause that's how it works with studying for me, too - I just take the chances I get.
    Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog! I'm the lucky one getting such an amazing mother-in-law :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting post, its fascinating to compare and contrast how different authors work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha crazies and voices in ones head the cat can sure relate too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so pleased that illustrating is underway for those adorable birds. I can't wait to see it.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite books are kids' books, and I love the illustrations, too. Very interesting post~

    ReplyDelete