Mama Diaries

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Obstacle Course

When I walked into the living room yesterday, I found piles of pillows stacked in random places.  I knew my son was behind this.  Sure enough, I caught the boy bringing a few more pillows to add to the collection.

"Bubba," I asked.  "What exactly are you doing?"

"Making an obstacle course for you."

"For me?  Why do I need an obstacle course?"

"Because it's good exercise."  He put the finishing touches on the course and stood back to inspect his work.  "Okay, Mama.  Go ahead."

I scanned the array of pillow piles and wondered exactly how I should approach this.  Weave in and out?  Jump on top?  Jump over?  I opted for the weave in and out.  Which was apparently wrong.

"No, Mama.  You have to jump over them!"

I sighed.  "Dude.  Some of those pillow piles are almost as tall as me.  I can't jump over those!"

"Sure you can.  Watch and learn!"  The boy took a flying leap and knocked over the entire pile.  "See?" he said after picking himself up.  That's how you do it."  He replaced the pile of eight pillows.  "Now you do it."

I made a face at that kid and took a flying leap. I almost made it over the pile.  Almost.   My foot caught the top pillow and knocked the rest of them down.

Bubba grinned.  "That's okay, Mama.  Practice makes perfect!"

(Nobody ever told me doing obstacle courses was part of the mom job!)

47 comments:

  1. You sound like such a fun mom! I hope you had a grand old fashioned pillow fight after this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pillow fights. Just a clean-up-the-room session. ;0)

      Delete
  2. Well, that is true. Practice does make perfect!!!

    BTW, I received your books in the mail. Thank you so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha--I remember those days when my stepdaughter was little. You never knew what new game she'd have for you! At least it keeps things interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have two terriers that do the same thing, mostly with sticks, bones - anything they can get hold of, really.
    They are also adept at emptying the laundry basket. Socks and underwear are their favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I can just imagine the kind of obstacle course they'd create!

      Delete
  5. I didn't know it was all right to knock them down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. That stack of eight pillows was a bit high. You'd have to do a belly flop on them. ;0)

      Delete
  7. You are killing me with no pictures of the pillows.

    But well-written and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I kill you with all my stories and no pictures. Bad Mama! ;0)

      Delete
    2. You do, you really do. I just clicked on your latest post and thought surely the dog and spider would make an appearance but no. No pictures.

      Killing me I say, in the most dramatic tone, with my head flopped downward in defeat.

      Delete
  8. I agree with M.J., you sound like a fun mom. A lot of parents would have yelled for Bubba to clean up the mess and never gave a go at the obstacle course. Sounds like you both had a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure, why not. I can't be serious all the time. ;0)

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you ran pillow hurdles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bumping into pillow hurdles was a lot better than bumping into the real thing!

      Delete
  10. Great story :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. is your house made of pillows? You seem to have tones of them :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes. We do have tons of pillows at my pad. Lots of sofa pillows and lots of pillows for the beds. We have a comfy home. ;0)

      Delete
  12. That's so fun! Thanks for sharing this cute story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The mom job IS an obstacle course. ;) I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well now you just have to practice so you get all the way over

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll spend the next week or so perfecting my pillow-hurdling skills. I'll let you know how it goes. ;0)

      Delete
  15. Isn't that the definition of mommying? Traversing an obstacle course where you don't know the rules? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are the next American Ninja Mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. Alex is the Ninja Captain, and I'll be the Ninja Mom!

      Delete
  17. The things kids make us do, eh? At least there's no need to pay for a gym membership!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You'll be ready for the pillow Olympics

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, at least he set up piles of pillows instead of piles of kitchen utensils, right? Soft landing, at least? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. If it was an obstacle course of kitchen knives, I would have had to pass!

      Delete
  20. I'm too old for such fun.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nonsense! I'll be doing pillow hurdles when I'm 97 years old. ;0)

      Delete
    2. Please don't break your hip. Then I'll feel compelled to nurse you and when you're 97, I'll be amazingly old.

      Delete
  21. LOL! At least he used something soft like pillows instead of books... :P

    ReplyDelete
  22. How cute. My dog leaves his toys everywhere and I thought he was lazy. Maybe he's trying to give me more exercise :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh, he is just too cute, sweet and funny when it comes to you!

    ReplyDelete