Mama Diaries

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Tennis Match

Yesterday, I took my nine-year-old son to the tennis courts for a few rounds of tennis.  Let me tell you how that went.

I served the ball to him, and he missed.

"That doesn't count, Mama.  You weren't standing in the right place."

"What do you mean, I wasn't standing in the right place?" I retorted.  "I'm right where I'm supposed to be."

"No, Mama.  You're supposed to be in the green area."

I looked behind me.  "Dude.  The green area is outside of the court.  I'm not supposed to be in the green area.  I'm supposed to be in the blue area."

"Nope.  You're wrong.  A point for me."

I sighed.

The boy served the ball to me, and I hit it back.  He missed, and it bounced out of the court.

"Negative one," Bubba announced.

"What?  Negative one for you?" I asked.

"No.  Negative one for you.  You hit the ball while I was talking.  You're not allowed to do that."

The game when on this way.  By the end of it, Bubba's score was twenty, and my score was negative five hundred.

Can you believe it?  What kind of match was that?

Oy!
 

36 comments:

  1. Classic make up the rules as you go technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He'll never lose with that counting system

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe! An interesting way to make certain he won. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! You're such a good sport. I would have told my kid how it was. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was more interested in him getting outside for some fresh air and exercise, so it wasn't worth arguing with him about how the game was supposed to go.

      Delete
  5. He's got the rules down pat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. good thing you didn't bet on some money

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never bet with that kid. It's a sure way to lose!

      Delete
  7. Wow. You should totally demand a rematch :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your score will always be in the negative with Bubba.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa! Bubba put you to negative five hundred?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. He did a lot of talking, and I did a lot of serving the ball!

      Delete
  10. Rules? What rules? I make the rules!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL. I've learned with my stepdaughter, when we pay games we just have to throw keeping score away. Especially Scattergories. She makes up the craziest words and argues with us...finally we get tired of arguing and let her keep her crazy words, knowing we won't compare scores at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes when you want to play with an obstinate kid, you just have to go with the flow.

      Delete
  12. Tennis is a lot harder than it looks, so I don't blame Bubba for fudging a bit. I could usually hit the ball, but it NEVER went where I intended it to go. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tennis can be a bit challenging. I can't say I've mastered it, either.

      Delete
  13. He wants to be tennis champ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently. If he continues to give his opponents negative scores, he'll be the champ for sure!

      Delete
  14. LOL this is awesome! He can be very convincing with his rules :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know how to play tennis so maybe Bubba should give me a lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Negative 500, that's better than I thought it'd be.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's great that you have decided to teach your kids tennis game. This is one of cool sports and mindful as well. Learning tennis at the beginning level is the best time for kids.

    ReplyDelete