Mama Diaries

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Crossing the Log

A few days ago, my daughter and I were roaming around in the woods behind our house. Eventually, we came to the wide creek that flows though the area. There was no way to cross the creek, other than wade though it or walk across a very long log that stretches over it. Since it was rather chilly, wading through it really wasn't an option. That left the log.

I looked at that thing. "I don't know about this," I said. "It looks pretty dangerous."

"I've done it before with my friends," my daughter said. "The first time it's really scary. But then you get used to it. Watch."

She slid down the muddy bank to where the log was wedged into the dirt. Then she climbed up on the log and very carefully made her way across the creek. It took a good five minutes. This was no narrow creek, and the log was elevated at least four feet above it.  "Your turn," she said when she was on the other side.

I sighed and made my way down the muddy bank.  I crawled up on the log and stood there. The sun on the water ripples was affecting my depth perception. "Uh, I'm not sure I can do this," I said.

"Just stare at the log at a spot a little ahead of you, and walk."

I tried, but then stopped.

"Mom, your knees are shaking."

"No, they're not," I said. They couldn't possibly be shaking. I'm not afraid of heights, and a stupid little log shouldn't bother me.

"You'd better turn around and try again," my daughter instructed."The best way is to do it all at once and not stop."

I frowned and turned around on that log - which was no easy task.

I tried again. And again, the ripples of the water messed with my vision. I couldn't focus on the darn log.

I turned around. This time, I was mad. There was no way a stupid log was going to get the best of me!

The third time, I plowed ahead. I really didn't care if I fell off the log and broke all my bones. And guess what? I did it. I walked all the way across that thing.

My daughter grinned. "Way to go, Mom! You're the only mom I know crazy enough to do that!"

Yeah. All it took was me getting mad!

(In case you're wondering, going back across was much easier. The light was behind me, so it was easier to see.)       





Today, as part of my book tour, my book, Ten Zany Birds, is being reviewed by Writer Granny's World. It is interesting to read the blogger's nine-year-old grandson's comments on it!

43 comments:

  1. You did it! Glad going back was easier though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad going back was easier, too! I didn't want to have to keep turning around and trying again!

      Delete
  2. That's the style, Sherry! You summoned the same resources it took for you to skydive and for me to perform the NLP firewalks. To meet a challenge you need to get completely congruent, determined and focused. Crossing that creek on a log was a powerful metaphor with numerous applications. What else can you do that you thought you couldn't do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are the NLP firewalks? Did you walk over burning coals?

      I used to be terrified of getting up and performing or speaking in front of large crowds. Now that I've done it a few times, I've realized that as long as I am well-prepared, I will do a good job, and there's nothing to worry about.

      Delete
    2. Yessum, the culmination of the week long NLP (Neuro-linguistic Programming) seminar is the firewalk in which participants, young and old, walk barefoot across a bed of red hot burning wood coals. The firewalk challenge, like your walk across the creek on a log, is a metaphor for turning fear into power. As you pointed out, achieving a successful outcome requires you to be well-prepared. This includes acquiring the necessary skills for the task, keeping fit, assuming a congruent physiology and maintaining a powerful mental state.

      Delete
  3. Getting mad can be a good thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting mad can be a good thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah! I totally hear you there. That's when your inner New Yorker comes out, eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, ha, good for you! It's amazing what one can do when they get mad enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great experience to go through with your daughter! Anger can be pretty good fuel, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're braver than I am. I don't think I could have crossed that log. I don't mind heights or water, but I don't trust any dead tree enough to hold me while I cross it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been nice if the log had rails. :-)

      I figured if the log held my daughter, it would probably hold me.

      Delete
  9. Great experience and I saw photos on FB about it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I posted one of the pics from a bridge we found. It was really pretty back there.

      Delete
  10. You are braver than me. I never would have been able to do that. Of course, I do have an aversion to heights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heights don't usually scare me, but walking across a thin structure over a body of cold water makes me a little nervous!

      Delete
  11. Good job, Sherry! You were brave and you get the gold star!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol getting ticked off sure can make one do things they couldn't or wouldn't before

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, hurray for anger! Glad you made it across okay!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember you jumped out of a plane, I knew you could do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I figured if I could jump out of a plane, I could surely cross over a log!

      Delete
  15. Congratulations for doing it, I'm afraid of heights, I probably wouldn't have made it... kudos to you ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad I did it, too. My daughter probably would have never let me hear the end of it if I had chickened out!

      Delete
  16. I was the kind of mom who did stuff like that. I'm not that kind of mom anymore. The kids are grown up, and my broken back cries for mercy. It's cool that you did it, though. Your daughter will brag to all her friends.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could definitely imagine you doing crazy stuff like that. You seem like you would have been a very cool mom.

      Delete
    2. The other parents complained that their kids always told them I was the hip mom. I don't know if I was hip or childish. I enjoyed the kids, while I hear so many parents complain and say they can't wait for their children to grow up and move out.

      Delete
  17. Well done Sherry, pleased the return walking the log was easier, But why do our children seem to be able to do things easier than their parents?
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd be afraid to do this, but it's amazing what we can do when we're focused. I always find I should do certain things fast, or I'll lose my nerve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. You just can't think about things like that, too much.

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks, Tracy! I felt like a teenager again!

      Delete