Mama Diaries

Monday, April 11, 2016

Chef Bubba's Concoction

My son, Bubba, has been watching the Food Channel's series, Chopped. That's the one where a bunch of chefs compete against each other, and each week a chef is "chopped" out of the series, until only one is left standing. Apparently, this series has motivated the boy to do some creative cooking.


The other day he put down a fancy plate in front of me. Around the edges, was drizzled chocolate syrup. Strawberries and sliced radishes (which he thought were cucumbers) were arranged to look like flowers on the plate. In the middle, were two types of eggs - scrambled with onions, and a couple that were done over-easy.


It looked very nice. (I took a picture, but unfortunately, I have not been able to locate it in my files.)


"Here, Mama," he said. "This is for you."


"Thanks, Bubba," I said. I wasn't too sure about the chocolate - onion - egg - radish combination, but I figured if I didn't mix them, it would be okay.


I started on the scrambled eggs with onions. As I took the first bite, I noticed something wasn't quite right. "Dude, did you put sugar in these eggs?"


He nodded. "Sugar, salt, and pepper. And onions."


I made a face. "How much sugar?"


He shrugged. "About three tablespoons."


Ugh!


The boy passed on presentation, but we're going to have to work on taste, because my boy would have definitely been chopped! (His over-easy eggs were good, though, so there's hope!)
   


42 comments:

  1. Presentation is half the battle. Now, just hide the sugar. And the radishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'll make sure I do that next time I see him in the kitchen trying to make a concoction.

      Delete
  2. Hehehe! Sugar makes everything tasty... doesn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything separate is wonderful. It's just that combininations sometimes doesn't work.
    If you doubt that, how many "Meatloaf Sundaes" have you seen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many. But I wouldn't put it past Bubba to make one. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi, dear Sherry!

    I'm going out on a limb and predicting that your very own son, Bubba, will some day be crowned America's Next Top Chef! :) Bubba whipped up an inspired combination of taste sensations. Your mistake was trying one thing at a time. I think Bubba intended you to experience all of the flavors at once. Maybe he should have put everything in a blender :) If he had done that, however, the judges would have knocked off points for presentation. :)

    Happy Monday, dear friend Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. Okay. Next time I'm eat the radishes with the chocolate syrup and sugary eggs with onions. ;-)

      Delete
  5. I loved that story. Sugar makes everything better, right? Well, maybe not right, but it's a good guess. So sweet though that he made you breakfast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember when my daughter (about 7 at the time) made me breakfast for mother's day. First off, it was at 05:30 in the morning. She didn't know how to boil a kettle so I had a cup of cold tea with some toast. The thought was so lovely, naturally I ate and drank and told her how lovely it was :)Now that she's flown the nest, I miss those times. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. That was so sweet of your daughter -even if it was at 5:30 in the morning.

      Delete
  7. Full marks for presentation....the taste will come later, His heart was in the right place also.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. he should taste some of his own cuisine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe. But then he might not ever want to cook, again. ;-)

      Delete
  9. So funny! It's the thought that counts and he's such a sweetie to have made that food for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. At least he made it look nice, who cares if he wanted to make you hyper lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe he thought he'd give me a boost of energy.

      Delete
  11. How sweet of him... he just needed to skip the sugar... lol... and I am not sure about those radishes either... ;-) xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Sugar and radishes definitely don't go well with eggs.

      Delete
  12. Well, at least it wasn't salt in the cookies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I've heard a story of someone using salt (mistaking it for sugar) in a blueberry pie. That didn't turn out so well.

      Delete
  13. As a parent, you eat and smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, cute! This makes me smile-you being a brave mama and your boy trying to please you~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like an interesting combination. Good that Bubba is being inspired by Chopped.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL! Maybe he should experiment and do his own tasting first before he uses others as his guinea pigs--ROFL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha, I can just imagine your reaction to the first bite of sweet eggs. That's so sweet of him though to cook for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Presentation is part of the battle! Maybe if he tastes his own creations for a while he will get better fast. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chocolate, eggs and onions lol. That made me laugh!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhh! And you had to be the taster?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love pretty food. I'm sure he'll get the taste right.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So creative, points for presentation for sure. My son loves watching chopped as well.
    BEAUTETUDE

    ReplyDelete