Mama Diaries

Monday, April 25, 2016

Peculiar Paint Job

Before I share my story, I wanted to tell you about the sneak peak of the up-coming anthology, The Thing That Turned Me. Contributing author, Tara Tyler, has compiled a list of blurbs from all of the authors. If you like to check it out, go here.


Now for the story.


"Mom," my teenaged daughter said. "I have failed at life."


"What?" I asked. I hardly thought she failed at life.


"Look," she said pointing down at her bare leg.


I looked. She was wearing shorts, but under that, she had something else. "What the heck is that?"


"Body paint."


I squinted, trying to figure out what in the world she had painted on her leg. "Did you paint candy corn on your leg?"


She laughed. "No. I painted the universe. And those are stars."


"Stars?"


"Yeah. See, I told you I failed at life."


I shook my head. "No. But you'd better figure out how to get that candy corn off your leg. And the black abyss they're revolving in."


She came up with a great way. A water balloon fight. She and her friend filled up about a hundred water balloons. By the end of the fight, there was nothing but black streaks running down her leg. So much for the candy corn universe. 

40 comments:

  1. Now if it had been a Hot Tamales universe, that would be really cool.
    Next month and the anthology releases!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, dear Sherry!

    Aren't we all just living in a candy corn universe, though? :) I have lived almost 67 years now, and if there's one thing I have learned along the way it is this. A good water balloon fight is the answer to most of life's problems. :)

    Happy Monday, dear friend Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've learned a very important thing. Water balloon fights are the answer to most of life's problems. I'm so glad it didn't take me 67 years to figure that out! ;-)

      Have a terrific week!

      Delete
  3. Can't top a good water balloon fight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. You sure can't. And now they have this new device that you can hook up to your hose and fill a hundred balloons at once.

      Delete
  4. If your daughter thinks she's failing at life, I'm in big trouble.. lol... I think the water balloon was a great and fun idea xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. A water balloon fight is the answer to most things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, BALLOON FIGHT!! YAY! I'm in. Congrats to all involved in the up-coming anthology. So many great writers included. Can't wait to grab my copy at the end of May!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. She almost inspired me to draw my own candy corn universe on my leg. Almost.

      Delete
  8. I Seriously Love Reading Your Cute Stories. I love the Way You keep them so interesting . Also Congratulations for the Up Coming Anthology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy them. As my kids have gotten older, the stories have a different feel. More teenager issues.

      Delete
  9. What if the universe as we know it is actually an art project on someone's leg?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Still not sure how that equates to failing at life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all drama. In the teenaged female mind, that does equate to failing at life.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful story, but hey! her life is only just beginning.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Candy corn started the big bang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just so you know, I snorted when I read this. :)

      Delete
    2. Cherdo, that is so funny! It totally makes sense! ;-)

      Delete
  13. It's always something. Your children are creative.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you use a water balloon to fix your problem, then in no way have you failed at life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I suppose there are worse things than candy cane with which to paint yourself and I should know given my addiction to all these tattoo programmes that seem to be the rage. And what a great excuse to have a water balloon fight.

    Now I'm away over to Tara's site. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a perfect excuse to have a water balloon fight. I'm glad she thought of it. Her idea worked perfectly.

      Delete
  16. She figured out a fun way to deal with her "failure." For that she gets lots of points.

    I've marked the anthology to read on Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super! Thank you. I'm sure you'll enjoy the stories in it.

      Delete
  17. Now there is a girl who isn't afraid to take on a huge project. I love that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lol, kids are funny! Everything is always so overly dramatic!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad she put all that water to good use!

    ReplyDelete