I had gotten my son a chemistry experiment kit for Christmas. Like the perfume kit I got my daughter, I thought this was a good idea at the time. It probably is a good idea, but not with the Mama in charge.
I pulled out the experiment kit and read the directions. It listed all of the hazards of the chemicals we'd be using.
"Mama," my son said. "Are you sure we should be doing this? Because this stuff is bad for the environment!"
"Sure, Bubba. It says here that the small quantities we'll use won't produce devastating affects on the environment. So we're good."
He looked at me funny. I could tell he wasn't so sure about that.
"Just put your goggles on and wear an old t-shirt so you don't ruin your clothes," I said.
We began our first experiment. "We need sodium carbonate. Open up the sample and put a large spoonful in the vial," I instructed.
He tried to pry the cap off, but couldn't. "Mama, can you help?"
I got the special opening tool and used a lot of strength to open it. A little too much. Because the white powder flew out onto my clothes.
My son's eyes got big. "Mama, are you going to die?"
"No, Bubba. Not today. A little sodium carbonate won't kill me. But it might kill my pants."
I brushed the stuff off and we continued the experiment. "Now we need some tartaric acid," I said.
Somehow we managed to get that in the vial without incident.
Then it was time for the water. My son added it to the vial, and immediately the chemicals foamed up. "Should I add more?" he asked.
"Sure," I said. "Why not?"
He did, and the potion spilled over the top of the vial.
"Oops," I said. "Okay, let's do the flame experiment."
"The what?" my son asked.
"We're supposed to stick a lighted match in there and see what happens."
That was it. My son couldn't handle any more. He went upstairs. Two seconds later, he came back down with the fire extinguisher. "Mama, you're definitely going to need this!"
It scared him more than you? Now that's a first. Usually the kid is eager to set something on fire!ReplyDelete
It is a little surprising, isn't it?Delete
And I thought we the Parents were the worry warts!ReplyDelete
I guess he knows his Mama!Delete
hahaha so is he saying he doesn't trust youReplyDelete
Can't say I blame him!Delete
it is always better to be on the safe side.....ReplyDelete
LOL As Dezmond said, better safe than sorry. :)ReplyDelete
I'm glad he didn't need it!Delete
He comes preparedReplyDelete
Must've been the Boy Scout training. ;0)Delete
At least he's safety -conscious!Delete
Lol! Way to be prepared, Bubba! Seems like he's been to this rodeo before.ReplyDelete
Ha! Do you think?Delete
I'm glad Bubba was wise enough to get out the fire extinguisher. He's very responsible. When Bubba becomes a famous chemist, we'll all say we knew him when he started his career.ReplyDelete
Hahaha! Responsible? You have to read my next post!Delete
I think you have amazing children!!!
... and I love your sense of adventure.
I do have good kids!Delete
It's good to know you operate under proper supervision!ReplyDelete
Can't have it any other way! ;0)Delete
HAHA! I love this. Good thing Bubba is safety-conscious... ;)ReplyDelete
That is a good thing!Delete
LOL! Wow. Just wow. See, this is why I leave the science experiments to Bill Nye. Plus I have a kid who would try to repeat the experiments after Mom and Dad had gone to sleep. Ah the dangers of home schooling...ReplyDelete
That would be scary!Delete
*LOL* You're a mad scientist in his eyes, I bet! :)ReplyDelete
Ha! No doubt!Delete
Aww...awww....awww...*Nas holding stomach lolling round laughing.*ReplyDelete
I thought it was pretty funny, too, when he came down with the extinguisher in his arms.Delete
Wow! I've gotta say that I'm surprised that Bubba was being so cautious about using the kit and doing the experiment. I'd have thought he'd have been fearless. I guess he's heard the old saying, 'better to be safe than sorry.'ReplyDelete
He knows his Mama. I'm a walking disaster! ;0)Delete