Mama Diaries

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Preserved by Ice Cream

Last night after dinner, I scooped some ice cream into a bowl and sat down to eat it.

"Mom," my eleven-year-old daughter said.  "You're the only person on the planet who can eat ice cream every day and not get fat."

My husband added his two cents.  "Yeah, and she could probably eat a whole pie and cake everyday and not gain a single pound."

I shook my head and laughed.  "No.  If I ate cookies, cake, and pie every day, I'd be a five hundred pound blimp.  I can only do it with ice cream."

"How come, Mama?" my eight-year-old son asked.

"Because I'm an ice cream vampire."

His eyes got real big.  "You are?" 

"Yep.  Don't I look like a vampire?"

"Yeah, Mom," my daughter said. "With your pale skin and dark hair you totally look like a vampire!"

"Do you drink blood?"  asked my son, totally believing it.

"No.  I eat ice cream.  It keeps me cold and preserves my youthful appearance."


So now you know the secret to staying young:  Eat ice cream every day!


Before I go, several of you have asked me to post a recording of myself playing the viola.  A few days ago, I recorded the Preludio from Bach's Partita No. 3 for solo viola.  I'm teaching it to a couple of my students, so I did it for them.  Anyway, if you'd like to listen, go here.     

23 comments:

  1. I love ice cream too. Although, darn you, I can't eat it and not get fat.

    And, the viola!!! wow!!!!! Our town hosts a chamber music festival twice a year and I do some work for it, so my husband and I always go. The viola is one of my favorites, and you play . . . well, WOW!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Viola rocks! How cool that you participate in the chamber festival!

      Delete
  2. I want some! Except I'm no vampire...better stick to my fruit and veggies. Ice cream can only be a treat for me. My daughter plays the viola. Beautiful! Simply beautiful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So that's the secret! Heading to the store right now... ;)

    I loved the recording. You play beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally envious of your vampy ice cream powers!

    Also, I just listened to you playing the viola, and wow, fantastic! I'm always so in awe of people who can play a musical instrument like that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, you mean to tell me I totally lied to my son yesterday? I told him he can't eat ice cream every day because it will make him fat.

    And, I agree with Janie, you play beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Ice cream is a good thing!

      Thanks for the compliment!

      Delete
  6. I too love ice cream, just listened to your viola solo,
    What a great talent you have, I played the piano from a very early age and passed many examinations, then I became a teenager and the pop music of the day took over my classical up bringing. I still love the classic's and play many a relaxing piano piece last thing at night.
    Keep up the good work.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far I can eat what ever I want and not get fat, let's hope it stays that way for Pat and the cat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I'm going to take your advice so I can stay young!

    I love Bach, and that is a beautiful performance of it. What talent you have~

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Ice Cream Vampier....sounds like a story line to me (-:

    Your music is great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to be an ice cream vampire...until I found out I'm allergic to dairy. Now I walk the earth, craving the sweet life-giving cream, transitioning back to a mere mortal existence. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a bummer! I don't know if I'd survive if I couldn't eat ice cream every day. :)

      Delete
  11. I usually skip dessert but will say yes to ice cream. Haagen Dazs, Cold Stone Creamery, Baskin Robbins, oooh and Ben & Jerry's are such happy treats:)

    Amazing! I enjoy listening to you play.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed listening to you playing the viola. : )

    ReplyDelete