Mama Diaries

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Cup Games

At my son's school Christmas party, there were a variety of games - toss the marshmallows through the wreath into the bucket, Hershey kiss unwrap, candy cane hook, and jingle bell jump.  It was my job to man the snowball ping pong game.  Kids were supposed to bounce a ping pong ball into plastic red cups. 

I stood behind the table, ready to catch whatever balls came my way.  Easy, right?  Wrong!  Not when you have six kids lined up with balls, all bouncing them as high as they could.  Those wild balls went everywhere!

"Hey," I said.  "Can we do a tamer version of this game? How about one at a time, and try to aim for the cup."

They thought about that.  Then my son had a brilliant idea (go figure!).  "Let's play bowling!"  He grabbed the cups, lined them up, and rolled the balls, knocking them down. 

"Okay," I said.  "This is interesting."  It went smoothly for a while, but then the balls and cups started flying everywhere.

I sighed.  "Time for another game."

Another kid had an idea.  "Let's make a cup castle."

Everybody thought that was great, so they made a towering masterpiece.  Which worked just fine, until another kid decided that it was time for an earthquake to strike.  The tower toppled over.

"Anybody else have a brilliant idea for what to do with cups and balls?" I asked.

We went through a bunch of games, including, "guess which cup the balls are under."

Finally one little girl grabbed a cup.  "Cup song!" she announced.  She did a lovely rendition of the infamous cup song, after which everyone segued into the "What does the Fox Say?"

Cup, cup, cup, cup cup, cup, cup cup cup cup, cup cup cup cup cup, cup!

Oy!


Merry Christmas, everybody!  Hope you enjoy the day with your families!

29 comments:

  1. You have to give them credit for being creative!
    Merry Christmas, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alex! Same to you! (I don't know if you come back to read my comments, but I've been having trouble commenting on your blog. It says, "page not available." I'll keep trying to comment, but know that I am stopping by and reading your posts.)

      Delete
  2. LOL!!! Well, I'm going to have to say that was an improvement on the song. ;) Merry Christmas, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Merry Christmas to you, too, Crystal!

      Delete
  3. It's an exciting time of year for kids, but sounds like you handled it well. Hope you enjoy your holidays. . .and school will be out. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay. Now I have to entertain the kids for the next two weeks. ;0)

      Delete
  4. A party ain't a party without asking what does the fox say!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it was a fun school Christmas party. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was. I know my station was certainly rocking!

      Delete
  6. The cup song drives me crazy, but you are more tolerant than I am.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had to endure Pitch Perfect no less than eight times. I have the entire script memorized!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like too much fun! Kids can be pretty creative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well they sure came up with many things to do with only cups and balls haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could think of a few more things to do with them, too. LOL!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you, Peaches! A very Merry Christmas to you, too!

      Delete
  10. Wow, Bubba's class certainly doesn't lack imagination! I can just picture the balls and cups flying everywhere. At least they worked hard to make it a memorable experience.
    Merry Christmas, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it didn't help that my son was the ring leader in instigating all these activities!

      Delete
  11. Your son has a wonderful imagination......should go far .
    As I read this after Christmas I wish you a Happy New Year.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're back, Yvonne! Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  12. I hope you had a Merry Christmas! The weather is nice down here in GA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you're in my neck of the woods, are you? Yes, the weather is very nice!

      Delete
  13. Wishing you and your family a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete