Mama Diaries

Wednesday, October 4, 2023

My Thoughts on AI Writing

 


This month's IWSG question is What do you think of Artificial intelligence (AI) being used to write things (like books).

I think AI can be helpful for giving ideas. For example, when I built my new website, there were options for AI to create some of the verbiage in the text boxes.  I let the AI do its thing and decided I didn't really like it. But it gave me some ideas for what I could write. In that respect, I think it's helpful.

But to let AI write a whole story, I'd say no way! Writing is a process of human creativity. A big reason I write is to create. It's a source of enjoyment. So why would I want to give that up to an AI? 

What are your thoughts on this? 


This past weekend I went to a rock orchestra concert and saw violinist, Mark Woods perform. Ever heard of him?  The 65-year-old dude has a serious amount of energy! (An aside...this week I've been practicing with and will perform with a high-school rock orchestra. I look like a high-school kid, right? 😂😂 It's been so much fun!)

(I wanted to upload the video, but it's too big. So here are some photos.) 



                                               I caught him in a moment preparing to go onstage. 






31 comments:

  1. Rock orchestra - like Trans Siberian Orchestra!
    Writing a whole book? No way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark was the lead violinist for the Trans Siberian Orchestra!

      Delete
  2. I agree with you on how AI can be a tool but can't write a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Students are using AI to write school papers. It's a short jump to using the technology to run a blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't seem right. Students won't be able to write. Not good!

      Delete
  4. Another creative endeavor that AI shouldn’t take over. I l love to hear a great violinist. Blogger isn’t letting me use my ID today, so I’m just commenting anonymously and signing my comments. So frustrating. C. Lee McKenzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a spell of insanity with Blogger and couldn't use my ID. Very frustrating! It lasted several months.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a new experience. Enjoy. As for AI, I think everyone has been pretty much against it for creative work. That's good, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AI might work for those people who say "I've got this great idea. You should write it for me."

    The rock orchestra concert sounds fun. Energetic violinists sounds even more fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see AI helping in some things, but never doing a whole project.

      Delete
  7. I agree with you on AI, but I'm afraid the Pandora's box has already opened. I'm glad I'm not teaching right now! Jeff. https://fromarockyhillside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be interesting to see where things go 20 years from now!

      Delete
  8. This is all news to me, I can see your point of view though. Hope all is well.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you back! I am doing very well. Thanks. Hope you are, too.

      Delete
  9. I boo and spit and hiss on AI! We need to throw that sucker down before it overtakes us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, AI is a tool and needs to be used to improve or to help us get started, it does not currently produce the best results on its own and will still require skilled users to adapt and adjust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no substitute for the human mind and creativity.

      Delete
  11. AI is a machine and it will give you what you input. So for writing, yes, it will give you a blurb or a synopsis but then you will have to work at it. It will not replace humans and their creativity. And people should use it ethically.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you know I have never thought about AI in connection with writing but, no, it just doesn't seem at all right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting to listen to an author panel discuss AI at the last author event I attended.

      Delete
  13. AI makes me worried. I hope it will be used as a tool to help- but I am also concerned about it taking over creative jobs.

    Love the pictures. Looks like fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. AI is scary to think of at this moment. But probably in a few years we would be so used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we're not too used to it, and continue to use our own brains to create and write.

      Delete
  15. You're right, maybe a nice time-saving tool for those niggly taks we might not enjoy, but writing a book is too enjoyable to leave to a machine!

    ReplyDelete