Mama Diaries

Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Blogging through the Years

 


Today's IWSG question asks how long I've been blogging and have been on Facebook, and what has changed about them. I've been blogging for a long time! About 15 years. What has changed?  Well, for one thing, I'm not sure blogging is as popular as it once was. I don't know if this is my impression because I've gone from posting stories about my kids every day to showing up once a month to do these IWSG posts. My kids have grown up and are out on their own. No more funny stories about them. And I'm pretty busy working.  I've noticed though, that many bloggers who were regulars way back then are no longer on Blogger. Maybe for the same reasons I don't show up often.  What do you think? Is blogging not as popular or is it still going strong?

Facebook. I've been on Facebook even longer than I've been blogging. I think Facebook is good for keeping in touch with people you don't see regularly. It's okay for marketing, but honestly, I think Instagram and TikTok are the more happening places. It's gone through periods of being political, which I don't exactly appreciate. When that happens, I avoid it. I think Facebook has lost some of its popularity. And I think it will continue to do so since the younger generation is more into TikTok and Instagram. What do you think?



Other news: The next Bubba and Squirt book comes out on May 7th. If you'd like to be a part of the tour, you can sign up here. Thanks! 

And here's a very cute Spring picture of Mama Dove and her babies. 😄 (Not sure what I think of her nesting choice, but it seems to work.) 


  






  

15 comments:

  1. I agree with you that not as many people are blogging anymore and post less times per month. And there are less people reading blogs. But I think you can't become as good friends or share as much info on sites like Twitter or Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogging had a modest beginning and then it was everywhere. It's back down to the dedicated folks who like to read rather than watch and like to write rather than video/Vlog.
    Facebook was abandoned by the younger crowd (at least in the USA) when old fogies like their parents and even grandparents joined.
    Like you, I've been doing both for quite a while. I now think of both as the anti-IN-thing, which suits me still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. Blogging has passed its prime. Often I have thought of my grandfather. He had a CB radio and he used to talk to people from all over. In the '80s. CB was big in the '70s, as I recall. I think that he probably just continued on, much as I have with blogging. It's not dead yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right there in the pot! Looks like it's up high though.
    Blogging has certainly waned in the fourteen-plus years I've been doing it. But there are still a lot of great people here and I enjoy connecting, even if only one or two times a month. (Although I visit others every week.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogging is defo dead, most of us older bloggers are either dead or are no longer blogging, so there is only a handful of us now. Facebook has ruined itself with their constant switches of paradigms they use to show us or not show us posts, it is no longer a free space, but most of us oldies are there. I cannot handle TikTok, hope it gets banned soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been blogging almost as long as you, Sherry. I know that some people don't blog as frequently as they once did. Other forms of communication may be more 'fashionable' now, but they don't have the depth that blogging can have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't keep up with social media. It moves too quickly for me. One thing I've noticed with the people I follow on blogging, they've been doing it for a decade or longer. Makes me think we might fit a certain demographic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will always prefer blogging over other forms of social media. I am on Instagram and FaceBook too, but I can't keep up with them. I think those of us still blogging really enjoy the platform. I like the freedom to express myself as I choose to, but what keeps bringing me back are the friendships I've made. All the best to you. I expect to have an eye operation sometime in early May, so I can't offer to help right now. The best thing about the operation is I'll be under general anesthesia ~ lol! Good luck with your latest Bubba and Squirt book. I'm looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Facebook does tend to annoy me. There are fewer bloggers than there were before. Seems like we all know each other by now. Can't say that about social media. (Tom from MySpace tried. Ha.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy we met through blogging! And then in person! Can’t believe how long it’s been. And how much blogging has changed, and I miss it. But that’s how things go.

    I miss connecting with other writers... Every once in a while I stop by FB, but it’s usually the same people saying the same things... Twitter/X is different but the same, not enough substance or friends in my feed and I don’t have time to work at it to make it a better experience. I like Insta over TikTok—too controversial and political, but it was definitely entertaining during Covid =D

    So glad we keep in touch!
    Tara Tyler Talks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blogging has certainly changed. I started my first blog in December 2004... readers come and go and I've changed formats a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. agree with you....
    social medias have lost their "powers."

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like it that I've met so many friends and know about their lifestyles and children (what is safe to be shared online) from blogging. I like blogging and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blogging has changed in the last few years.

    ReplyDelete