Mama Diaries

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

A New Way to Chew

As many of you know, my son got braces not too long ago. Yesterday, he had an appointment which added another appliance in his mouth. It actually prevents his molars from coming together to bite, so that they can be moved back. This is the new way to do things. When I was a kid getting braces, I had to have a bunch of teeth pulled. That's not how they do it now.

Anyway, the boy came home and wanted to have lunch. He quickly found that he couldn't chew. The plastic covering the roof of his mouth was too much to deal with. And his teeth hurt.

"I can't eat!" he complained. "This is really bad, because eating is something I used to like to do."

"Well, you'll just have to figure something out," I said. "You're not the first person to have a appliance like that in your mouth."

He frowned and tore his sandwich into teeny tiny bits. After an hour, he finished it, but he wasn't happy.

"I know what I need," he said.

"What do you need?" I asked.

"Dentures."

"Dentures?" I couldn't imagine why he'd need those.

"I'll make the dentures chew the food before I put it in my mouth. Then all I have to do is swallow."

Genius!   

29 comments:

  1. For some reason, reading about him swallowing the food the dentures already chewed made me think of a mama bird feeding her babies. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make a whole robot for those dentures - now there's an idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll tell him. He can start working on that. It should keep him busy for a while!

      Delete
  3. good thing he didn't ask you to chew his food like momma bird :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha that's one way to chew! I hated having that thing! Good luck to your son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'll have that in for six months. I hope he gets used to it.

      Delete
  5. Smoothies...I make mine at home with greek yogurt and fruit.
    My kids love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling we'll be making a lot of smoothies around here.

      Delete
  6. I had something like that also, but they put a "blue glue" on my molars to lift and change my bite. I never had to go in for an emergency because of a broken wire or any of the usual stuff, even though I ate almost everything I wasn't supposed to.

    I DID have to make an emergency appointment when the blue glue cracked in half and came off as I bit into a wiener sausage...from the slow cooker. The orthodontist thought it was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your orthodontist had an odd sense of humor! :)

      Delete
  7. So glad I never had to deal with braces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Eating is something I used to like to do." Haha!!! I love the drama. That statement is so in the here and now. Poor kiddo...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor soul having to put up with all the problems with his mouth.
    Still he still has his sense of humour. Bless him
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. There's not much that can dampen his sense of humor.

      Delete
  10. Oh, poor boy. Having to face so much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope he learns to adapt, otherwise it's going to be a long six months!

      Delete
  11. Yikes. I guess it's time to puree all his food (for the time being, at least). Does he like mashed potatoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loves mashed potatoes. I'd better go get myself a ten pound bag of potatoes. :)

      Delete
  12. Sounds like he needs mashed potatoes, applesauce, and other soft foods for awhile.
    Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete