Mama Diaries

Friday, July 10, 2015

The Dog and the Drone

Our hundred pound German Shepherd, Schultz, made a new friend. This new friend is a little unusual in that it's a non-living entity. Schultz met his new friend while we were on a walk. Let me tell you about it.

There have been a lot of new roofs getting put on in our neighborhood. A few months ago, we had a severe hail storm that caused a lot of damage. The roofing company has been out and about, inspecting and replacing roofs. The inspection is not quite what you'd think. I think you'd think that someone would actually have to get on top of the roof and look at it. No. That's not what happens. A remote controlled drone flies over the roof and takes pictures. It's a whole lot safer than risking your life trying to climb all over steep-pitched roofs!

Schultz encountered one of these drones as it flew over his head. He cocked his head and looked at it, wondering what it might be. He watched as it flew over the roof, taking pictures. Then he watched as it flew back to its controller. Schultz wagged his tale. He thought this was pretty cool. He wanted to get a closer look. We walked over to the controller who showed us the drone. Of course Schultz wanted to see it fly again.

"Okay, Schultz, sit," I said.

He sat.

"Stay," I said.

He stayed.

The controller flew the drone one more time.

Schultz watched, with a huge smile plastered on his face.

The drone returned, and I thanked the controller. "Come, Schultz. Time to go."

But Schultz didn't want to go. He wanted to play with his friend.

It took a lot of coaxing, but he finally came. Now he is sitting at the window watching to see if his friend will come out and fly again.

Silly dog!



Before I go, I'd like to share the trailer for my new book, Ten Zany Birds, that is now on YouTube:



40 comments:

  1. Great trailer!
    Now you need a book about a silly dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking about creating a series like that.

      Delete
  2. I think you need to get that dog a remote controlled helicopter or something.
    The video is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful dog, I hope he gets to see a drone again.
    Excellent trailer for your book. Good luck.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on the trailer! Did you show it to Schultz and Bootsie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't . I don't think they'd be interested.

      Delete
  5. Good luck! Read aloud books are the greatest for kids. We read Beatrix Potter and Two Bad Mice, etc. when our kids were little ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A read a lot of Beatrix Potter to my kids when they were little, too.

      Delete
  6. Great trailer.

    lol Schultz dreams of flying maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too fun. Drones are cool to watch, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the trailer, and I can just picture Shultz's big doggy smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schultz does a lot of smiling. He must be a happy dog!

      Delete
  9. What a clever book! And I adore the illustrations!
    Cute story about Schultz. You really need to buy some remote control flying toy for your son. He can have fun flying and Schultz can have fun watching.
    Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Charu did a great job on the watercolor illustrations. Maybe I'll get a remote control helicopter for my son and dog. :)

      Delete
  10. Drones? That is amazing.

    I love the book illustrations! Very colorful and cool. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree that the illustrations are very colorful. Charu did an excellent job.

      Delete
  11. That's awesome! It does seen insane for somebody to crawl onto a likely damaged roof to see if it's damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing the awesome trailer, Sherry! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great trailer. Schultz may be waiting a long time for his friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid you're right. It hasn't been seen for days.

      Delete
  14. I bet if that drone swept low overhead, your dog (or at least my dog) would jump and snatch it out of the air!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Schultz was thinking about jumping up to catch that drone!

      Delete
  15. Very nice. I hope to write a book some day and maybe you can help :)
    V nice trailer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can share what I know. Thanks for taking a look at the trailer!

      Delete
  16. Haha, that's so cute. I can imagine him sitting by a window.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pet cats and dogs usually play with inanimate objects. Looks your dog looks very decent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a good boy. Most of the time, he's very well-behaved.

      Delete
  18. Maybe our little service dog will have to persuade the kids to read this one at their next read aloud group. It would be perfect for them.

    Also, if a drone brought me beer, it would be my best friend for life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dogs do the cutest things sometimes. My favorite kind of animal.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very funny dog. Headed to watch your trailer next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool on the video. I watched it and wish you many, many sales.

      Delete