Mama Diaries

Monday, July 6, 2015

A Little Writing Music

Yesterday, I was trying to add another chapter to the manuscript I'm working on. Usually, I can do this when my kids are in school, and all is relatively quiet. Now that it's summer, it's a bit more challenging.  As I sat down to write, a certain five foot tall individual came into the room with his radio blasting.

"Bubba," I said. "Can you please go somewhere else? I'm trying to write, and I can't do it with music on."

"What if I change the station? I can put classical music on for you."

I shook my head. "No, Bubba. I can't listen to any music. Even classical. It's too distracting."

He parked himself next to me. "What are you writing about?"

"Right now, I'm writing about a tsunami, and it's destroying the town."

He nodded. Then he got up with his radio and left.

Good, I thought. A little peace!

Unfortunately, it was short-lived. Bubba came back with his radio. And it was playing something else.

I listened. "Bubba, what is that?"

He grinned. "The sound of ocean waves. It'll help you write about tsunamis!"

38 comments:

  1. Where did he find the sound of ocean waves? I don't think I've ever heard that station.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a CD. I have a couple of those relaxing sounds CDs. I needed them when my kids were little. :)

      Delete
  2. HA! My son goes to sleep with a relaxation cd like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. he is kinda like a pest, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! At times, he can be. But I love him anyway!

      Delete
  4. How cute. Not many kids would have thought about trying to find a sound to help you write about tsunamis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm suddenly feeling very short. I'm a couple inches past 5" but because he's still just a kid and I'm almost 22, I feel vertically challenged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's catching up to you. And me! ;0) (My daughter has already passed me up by a couple of inches. She's 14 and 5'6".)

      Delete
  6. Good one Bubba! He's so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He certainly is an adorabe boy, he did have your interest at heart.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did it help? At least it wasn't music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Right. I didn't think of that. It wasn't music! (No, it didn't really help.) :)

      Delete
  9. lol at least he was thinking. Not sure where he found the sound of waves though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On a CD. I'm actually surprise he found it. Wouldn't it be funny if a radio station played wave sounds? That would be great!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. He really is! His imagination and creativity really amaze me.

      Delete
  11. He's a card, Sherry. I love Bubba tales.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smart.. and really quite thoughtful!
    happy writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's so clever of Bubba to bring you that soundtrack for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, he's very sweet for a pest :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. He did good. The tsunami chapter is now complete.

      Delete
  16. Not sure I'd find this helpful. A friend bought me a tape of 'water music' and all it did was make me want to go to the toilet. Still it thoughtful and sweet of your son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That's funny! Good thing I hadn't had something to drink before listening to his wave music. :)

      Delete